8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 11:11 AM by Nico

DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL

nbmurthy

I have just got a DP55WB board with i5 750 processor, SATA hard drive configured as IDE and 4 GB DDR3 RAM. I could load Windows 7 RC without any problem and it runs with all the cores active. However, I cannot load any other OS - including my original XP, Fedora Linux 10 or Ubuntu (32-bit & 64-bit) with the BIOS setting as "Active Processor Cores - ALL". I have to change it to "Active Processor Cores - 1".

I am able to load Ubuntu 9.1 32-bit desktop without any problems and use it, but with only one core activated. It detected onboard ethernet network device automatically and browsing etc. work fine. (Windows 7 needed Intel's driver for the network to work). But I could only see one core in the performance.

So in effect, I cannot see or use all the 4 cores except in Windows 7. How can I harness them in the other OS mentioned? Is there a different version where they support it?

• 1. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
          nbmurthy

I have upgraded the BIOS as well to the latest. Still the problem remains the same.

• 2. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
            jerrywhitaker

Could be a kernel issue rather than bios. I`ve got the same hardware running FC11 and sysinfo shows 4 cores. 2.6.30.8-64 is the oldest on my system i could try and it worked.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
              nbmurthy

Thanks for this helpful answer. I suspect it has to do more with the kernel or settings than the board itself as Windows7 works fine with all the cores, though I cannot load my XP onto it. I could only install XP in a virtualbox in Ubuntu.

I have actually tried FC11, but the live CD doesn't boot up with all cores enabled in BIOS. Also could not get the network up with just one core on, unlike Ubuntu 9.10. On searching the web I found there is something more to be done, but not conclusively, to make it work in FC11 for the e1000e driver, so I abandoned it temporarily and I thought I would wait for FC12 (due on 17th).

What did you do to get the network come up in FC11 and did you do anything specific in BIOS for it to work with all the cores? By the way, Phoronix's review of this board with Ubuntu 9.10 shows all the cores working that too with a pre-production board and BIOS, so it is just my frustration about what I am really missing.

• 4. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
                jerrywhitaker

I left the bios at its default settings and used the x86_64 network install cd rather than the live cd and kept getting a message about the lack of a network adapter. I ended up disabling the onboard LAN and installing an old PCI network card as a test. It worked and i`m just going to wait for the intel driver to make it into the kernel then take the card out.

• 5. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
                  nbmurthy

I have got Fedora 12 x86-64 DVD and tested the media and found to be good. However, I still face the same problem - can't boot with all cores enabled in the BIOS. Surprisingly, while trying this DVD, the system booted once with Fedora and once with Ubuntu with all cores enabled. I didn't install Fedora and aborted it. In Ubuntu 9.10, I could see all the four cores listed in /proc/cpuinfo as well as system performance view as well. However, that was only "once" so far - a successful boot in about a month. This is really strange. Reverting to just one core - everything works fine and Windows 7 boots with all 4 cores enable all the time consistently. Here are the boot time messages. They are the same for Ubuntu 9.10 in recovery mode and with Fedora 12 DVD (except that I can't see the first two lines while booting Fedora ).

Initializing cgroup subsys net_cls
                  CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
                  CPU: Processor Core ID: 0
                  CPU: L1 I cache: 32K, L1 D cache: 32K
                  CPU: L2 cache: 256K
                  CPU: L3 cache: 8192K
                  CPU 0/0x0 -> Node 0
                  mce: CPU supports 9 MCE banks
                  CPU0: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM1)
                  CPU 0 MCA banks CMCI:2 CMCI:3 CMCI:5 CMCI:6 CMCI:8
                  using mwait in idle threads.
                  Performance Counters: Nehalem/Corei7 events, Intel PMU driver.
                  ...version:   3
                  ...bit width:   48
                  ...generic counters:  4
                  ...value mask:   0000ffffffffffff
                  ...max period:   000000007fffffff
                  ...fixed-purpose counters: 3
                  ...counter mask:  000000070000000f
                  ACPI: Core revision 20090521
                  ftrace: converting mcount calls to 0f 1f 44 00 00
                  ftrace: allocating 20852 entries in 82 pages
                  Setting APIC routing to flat
                  ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
                  CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU          750 @ 2.67GHz stepping 05
                  Booting processor 1 APIC 0x2 ip 0x6000

• 6. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
                    nbmurthy

Hi all,

At last the problem seems to have been solved. This was caused by - guess what - the good old rodent, my old mouse. While I got everything new, including the keyboard, for some reason I just connected my old mouse to the system and that seems to be causing all this problem. I plugged in a new mouse and bingo, everytime Ubuntu 9.10 also boots with all the cores enabled. Just to confirm I have disabled USB legacy support in BIOS and that also seems to solve the problem i.e. Ubuntu 9.10 boots with all the cores enabled, but with only one hitch - my keyboard is not enabled (though new) till the OS is loaded i.e. I can't use it in the grub menu.

So I am happy that the problem is solved by having a new mouse (Microsoft) and USB legacy support enabled (default option) in BIOS. BTW, Windows 7 boots fine any way. Let me test this in the days to come and confirm FC12 as well. Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
                      nbmurthy

Using a suitable/more compatible (can't define what it is) USB mouse solved this problem.

• 8. Re: DP55 Motherboard - problems with setting Active Processor Cores - ALL
                        Nico

seems like intel took the power-efficiency on step too far with the 55 series..