2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 12:53 PM by DutchDelight

some DX58SO Questions

DutchDelight

Hi,

Just get the Intel DX58SO Board this week, as part of a new Project to build my PC. Very happy with the product, I have some general questions here :

1. Must you use both of the power-connectors (Molex and SATA) to apply power to the PCI-Slots, or can you use one of them? I've heard something to only connect the SATA Power connector.

2. Is it advisable to connect my 2 Blu Ray LG Drives to a seperate PCI SataController, or can i connect them also to the ICHR10, which will be populated also with 2x SSD in Raid0. (So my LG-drives on Sata port 3 and port 4). Is this supported?

3. I've looked at the Memory QVL. Is this a strict document? Can you use other Memory with the right specifications such as the Corsair Dominator Range?

4. This is more to Intel : Any info yet on latest Windows 7 Drivers and Tooling? Off course i check out the drivers-page

Thanks All.

• 1. Re: some DX58SO Questions
          unplugged_24

Hi there,

Answers to you questions:

1. You just need to use one of the auxiliary power connnector at a time. Either the SATA connector or the molex connector. Most people will tend to use the molex connector rather than the SATA. It does not make any difference in which one to use.

2. You don't need to use another PCI SataController if you are using raid on the board. You can use the on-board sata controller itself. You just make sure you connect the Blueray drives in the ports after the raid. However it will still be an advantage if you have a PCI Sata controller card and use the BluRay drives on the PCI Sata Controller, not a bad idea. Unfortunately I don't thing Intel has a tested hardware list to certify if you pci card will be supported on this board. I guess it should work.

3. In general it's better if you use memory that are from the tested list, however you can use other non-tested memory as long as they satisfy all the requirements. Most important thing to remember is to not use memory that are rated greater than 1.6V. Also, remember that the memory controller is not longer on the board, it's rather on the processor in these new series board, hence if you use unsupported memory it may damage the processor as well as the board.

4. Concerning Windows 7 drivers and Utilities, from the download centre for this board, currently these are the only set of drivers available. I assume in the future more drivers versions and/or utilities will become available for windows 7.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Cheers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: some DX58SO Questions
            DutchDelight

Thanks unplugged_24 for your reply.

1. You just need to use one of the auxiliary power connnector at a time. Either the SATA connector or the molex connector. Most people will tend to use the molex connector rather than the SATA. It does not make any difference in which one to use.

Understood. I'm sure now.

2. You don't need to use another PCI SataController if you are using raid on the board. You can use the on-board sata controller itself. You just make sure you connect the Blueray drives in the ports after the raid. However it will still be an advantage if you have a PCI Sata controller card and use the BluRay drives on the PCI Sata Controller, not a bad idea. Unfortunately I don't thing Intel has a tested hardware list to certify if you pci card will be supported on this board. I guess it should work.

Also understood. I'm going to check out some of the available (simple) sata-controllers. I want to seperate them from the onboard-controller. Onboard i will connect 2x ssd 32 Gb in Raid0, and also 2x WD Raptor 72 Gb in Raid0 or 1, this for some extra capacity near the OS-ssd's.

3. In general it's better if you use memory that are from the tested list, however you can use other non-tested memory as long as they satisfy all the requirements. Most important thing to remember is to not use memory that are rated greater than 1.6V. Also, remember that the memory controller is not longer on the board, it's rather on the processor in these new series board, hence if you use unsupported memory it may damage the processor as well as the board.

yes, i agree it's better to select something from the QVL. I've researched again and i've ordered a 6 Gb set from OCZ (3X1600LV6GK). It is on the supported list of Intel. I think i've made a good choice for this Kit.

4. Concerning Windows 7 drivers and Utilities, from the download centre for this board, currently these are the only set of drivers available. I assume in the future more drivers versions and/or utilities will become available for windows 7.

I will be watching the specific driver-pages !