7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 5:14 AM by egorf

Create a production image for Intel Edison

egorf

Hello!

I am currently working on a production image based on Ubilinux to use with multiple Edisons.

I am using the "chroot" approach where I mount the ext4 image on my machine, then chroot into it and make the necessary modifications. The problem is that whatever modifications I apply to the home directory are overwritten during the flash process. This does not happen if I try to flash the yocto image. However, I can't seem to find any difference in the flashall shell scripts provided in the Ubilinux image and the official Yocto one.

Can anybody provide some guidance in these matters?
      Thank you!

• 1. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
          Intel_Peter

Hello egorf,

Since your issue is directly related to Ubilinux, I'd suggest you to post your question in EmutexLabs, you might find a more accurate response there.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
            egorf

Hello!

I understand that this is not exactly your jurisdiction, so I don't expect a ready solution. Unfortunately, Emutexlabs forum is kinda dead. Is there any way to get better understanding of the flashall script, maybe some docs? After all, the Ubilinux image is based on an older version of the official yocto one. Or maybe I could a hint on which part is responsible for overwriting the home directory?

The thing is, on both images /dev/mmcblk0p10 is mounted to /home. I can't figure out the part of the script that is responsible for this.

I would appreciate any help at all.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
              ab-tools

Hello egorf,

just out of interest as I'm also working with Edison:

what's your reason to use Ubilinux instead of the Yocto Linux distribution?

Is there a bigger performance gain with that?

I'm asking also, because I'm not so happy with the Yocto Linux boot time...

Best regards and thanks

Andreas

• 4. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
                egorf

Hello ab-tools,

The ubilinux image has the same kernel and modules, so probably no performance difference. The main reason to choose it is probably apt-get which has so much more packages than opkg and a more familiar debian environment.

I don't think there is a way to reduce boot time unless you create your own completely stripped down image with yocto.

Best regards,

Egor Fedorov

• 5. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
                  ab-tools

Hello Egor,

first thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, thought about stripping down the Yocto image already myself, too, but as I'm not very experienced in the Linux package world I don't have much clue which packages can safely be removed from the image build: I'm basically only need the serial interface plus WiFi - nothing else.

Till now I only tried to remove as many services from boot (by "systemctl disable") as possible, but that reduced the boot time only by about 0.5 seconds...

Best regards

Andreas

• 6. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
                    egorf

Reducing Linux load time is a very complicated question, I don't think I can help you much with this. Maybe if boot time is a crucial thing you should consider switching to something non-Linux?

• 7. Re: Create a production image for Intel Edison
                      egorf

Intel_Peter

I have another question for you. If I try to chroot into the yocto image, I have the following problem: I can't use opkg, it drops with the following error:

Error in GnuTLS initialization: Failed to acquire random data.

How can I avoid this error message? Is there way to run opkg without some security checks?