1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 4:03 PM by mikec_intel

DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?

nexus01

Hello there,

I own this borad DH87MC and I want to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro x64, yet I cannot find in the Intel download center any drivers for this OS.

Can someone tell me if Intel is working on this? Because I see many users here having problem with the LAN drivers and other stuff on Windows 10 with another boards, but nothing related to DH87MC.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
          mikec_intel

Intel is still working on the new drivers. They will be available at Intel® Download Center very soon.

Mike C

• 2. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
            N.Scott.Pearson

Nexus01,

A similar posting related to one of the NUCs indicated that v20.2 of the PRO LAN drivers seems to fix the issue. Give this a try and see if it helps. You can get to this version by searching for drivers for one of the latest NUCs (I used NUC5i3MYBE)...

...Scott

• 3. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
              nexus01

Hi, thank you both for your answers.

I wanted to know if it was on Intel plans to release proper Win 10 drivers.

Scott: thanks again for your reply. I will wait a couple of more days, I have no rush. Anyway I will have that option in mind just in case

• 4. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                N.Scott.Pearson

Oh, Intel is definitely interested in getting the drivers out - at least for their standard silicon features - as soon as is possible. What it comes down to, in most cases, is the bottlenecks that occur at the validation resources that are necessary to ensure that the drivers work on a particular product and do not, at the same time, cause problems with other drivers (or software or a particular supported O/S).

Let me back up at this point and talk about Intel's processes. The groups that are responsible for the device drivers for Intel silicon features, when they make changes necessary to support a new O/S (like Windows 10) or to fix a bug, must thoroughly verify that the changes work properly and do not cause any issues with other software, supported O/S or device drivers. They do this testing on a number of different platforms. First comes Validation Vehicles (VVs) - the boards that Intel develops to test new silicon. Once they are clear here, they then repeat the tests on a number of products obtained from third-parties. In some cases, the third-parties are actually other parts of Intel. This was previously the case for Intel's Desktop Boards and is currently the case for Intel's NUCs. In fact, even though many of Intel's desktop boards have been end-of-lifed, it is likely that some of them are still being used for this testing. Once everything has been verified, the team will release the drivers.

When drivers are released by the silicon feature teams, groups within Intel - like the NUC team - and outside of Intel - the ODMs like ASUS and MSI and OEMs like Dell - will perform their own validation of the new drivers across their products. Once this validation is complete, they release the drivers to their customers for those products. Now, they do this first for their active products. For their older products, if they are still under warranty and if their warranty says they will support new O/Ss released during the warranty period, they will perform this validation second.

Back to our situation. For Intel silicon features, the Desktop Board products require the same drivers that products like the NUCs do (at least those of a particular generation). You are seeing the drivers posted for the NUC products first simply because they are active products and thus are getting priority with the validation folks. Once this is compete, only then will you see the validation team look at older products. Now, those older products that are out of their warranty period may get no testing at all and you will never see updated drivers posted for them. This is simple economics. It costs a lot of money to perform this validation (or to pay someone else to do it) and you are not going to throw away money with no return on the investment. Further, Intel is not going to post drivers for a product without having validated on it, as this could potentially generate costly support issues down the line. This is frustrating for folks with these older products, I know, but it is reality.

OK, your situation. You need a driver for Windows 10. You may have to wait a long time for drivers to be released for your board - and, indeed, for many boards, they will never be released. What do you do? It's completely up to you. What *I* will be doing is immediately downloading the drivers (from wherever I can get them) and using them. Now, understand that I am a former member of Intel's Desktop Board and NUC development teams (I am retired now) and, while I understand that there are some risks involved (since no formal validation has been yet done for my boards), I am pretty confident that Intel has done enough testing that I should be OK. Because of the risk, however, I will make sure that I have a complete backup of my system so I can recover to where I was if something goes wrong.

[Aside: I have seen many people (including myself, more then once), who regularly produce backups but, when they actually needed to use these backups, discovered they cannot. Thus, these recommendations: (1) Do regular backups, (2) Do a complete backup before doing something risky like this, and (3) verify you can actually recover from this backup before you proceed!!!]

One more time, this proviso: I am a software engineer and a 35+ year veteran in the trenches (including 21 years with Intel and most of this within the Desktop Boards and NUC development groups). I have the skills to recover from issues that many of you do not and thus I am likely less risk adverse that you (at least in this case). Still, it's your decision whether you accept this risk...

...Scott

• 5. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                  nexus01

Well Scott,

Thanks again for taking the time to explain all this in detail. Seems all very logical to me.

So, as possible solution that Intel doesn't release a single version of a Win 10 driver for my board anytime soon (which is ok for me, at least to hold up until my next hardware upgrade) contrary to what mikec_intel said that will be released very soon, you propose as an alternative that I look for a driver from another board manufacturer like Asus or MSI, which has been certified for Win 10, of a board that haves the same components as mine but at my own risk, right?

If that so, I understand the point, the risks, and any related problems if any. Its not ideal but its better than nothing and would be a simple solution until my next board and cpu upgrade during the next year I believe.

Release of Win 10 for me was in perfect timing as I already passed the "mandatory" cycle of about 1 year & half with the same Win 7 installation. MS seems to designed Win 7 to work perfectly for that time until it starts to show its weaknesses, even being a careful user. So if I have to re-install everything I preferred to do it directly in Win 10 than Win 7 again. That’s where my rush relays.

Comment aside, Win 10 compatibility tool didn't detect anything "bad" about the drivers aspect if I do a simple upgrade from Win 7. Either way, I don't trust that tool at all.

Seemed strange to me that Intel has dropped their 8 Series board without announcing the 9 Series or next gen boards yet. I always preferred Intel boards because as you said, all other boards have Intel components, so its better to cut off the "middle man" at my way of seeing things, getting rid in the middle of tons of useless features and stuff other boards have. Also I have nothing but great experiences with series 6 & 7 of boards. They are a bit limited for some gamers but for me are more than enough.

Of course my main concern about this driver issue is about the Chipset drivers and Intel Management Engine as I understand that LAN and USB3 drivers are not that critical as the first two I mentioned. About integrated Audio and Video drivers I really don't care, I have them both disabled by BIOS using discrete and an external audio card instead.

Gabriel.

• 6. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

No, what I am saying is that there are alternative places on Intel's web site to get Windows 10 drivers for some of the standard Intel silicon features. With the understanding that these have not been formally tested on the 8 Series boards and thus there is some risk involved, here are links that will take you to the appropriate download pages for downloading these Windows 10 drivers:

Intel Processor Graphics: Intel® Download Center

Intel Chipset (INF Update): Intel® Download Center

Intel LAN: Intel® Download Center

You are right; for some features (USB 3.0), support is included in Windows 10.

For some features, the driver version should be matched to the support provided in the BIOS. This means that, for RAID (Intel Rapid Storage) and for MEI (Intel Management Engine Interface), you will have to wait for Intel to release an update with Windows 10 support (I couldn't find them in my quick search). Yes, in this case, if you really need this sooner, you might have to go search on one of the ODM's sites (ASUS, MSI, etc.).

This leaves one critical driver, namely that for audio. I found a version of the Realtek Audio Driver with Windows 10 support (here: Intel® Download Center). Understand, however, that I do not know whether this package actually provides support for the particular Realtek codec(s) that is/are used on the 8 Series boards. You can try it and see (if it doesn't have support, it will tell you so and exit).

OK, let's talk about some of the other things you had to say...

• Yes, I have found that, over time, various things will cause Windows to slow down (fragmentation/junk in the Registry, etc. and etc.). If you are trying to get away from this by going to Windows 10, remember that installing Windows 10 as an upgrade may not completely clear this out. You really should do an install from scratch to be sure.
                    • I don't trust the upgrade tool either. For example, it tosses the SMBus driver that is needed by Intel Desktop Utilities (you can fix this with a reinstall, but you shouldn't have to).
                    • Intel *will not* be releasing new boards for the 9 Series or any other later generation processor-chipset pairings. Intel decided to exit the motherboard business completely. They stopped production of motherboards almost two years ago. Those boards you see being bought recently are just what was left in the distribution channels. Intel will provide support for these boards until their warranty periods have expired. This means they will fix bugs in the BIOS and drivers. It does *not* mean that they will add support for new features (support for new versions of Windows (Windows 10), support for new processors (i.e. the Haswell Refresh processors), etc.). This is unfortunate but a reality.

...Scott

• 7. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Update: I tried installing the new Realtek Audio Driver (with Windows 10 support) onto my DZ87KLT-75K under Windows 7. It worked fine, which tells me that the package has support for the codec on this board and the package should be good with Windows 10 on this board.

I did a quick check on the other 8 Series boards. They all have different codecs than that used on KL. Someone will have to try this new driver package on their board before we will know absolutely whether support for these codecs is present (though at this point I am pretty confident they are). Again, this can be done on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If the codec is not supported, the install will stop and tell you so (no harm, no fowl).

...S

• 8. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                        nexus01

Ok, much more clear now, thanks.

To answer to the things you replied me directly:

1) Yes I always do clean Install, never an upgrade. Not even with my Mac and OSX.

2) I don't use Intel Desktop Utilities. There is nothing really useful for me the there, so it wont be a problem.

3) That's the saddest news I heard this weekend. I was waiting in fact for a new Intel board to do the upgrade to the latest gen. They were always the cheaper and better working boards in the market in my experience. Anyway Asus is not doing bad at all now, not like 3 or 4 years ago.

And...

Audio & Video drivers where never a problem to me case as I never installed them and never will. Both devices are disabled by BIOS so I don't see them in the Device Manager and no drivers are asked from Windows. I use a discrete Nvidia graphics card and an external USB audio card too.

And also I don't use special RAID configurations, just normal setup, yet I do have a Sata3 SDD, so not sure about or Intel Rapid Storage driver is 100% needed or not. Same goes with Intel Management Engine Interface. As far as I know Intel ME is to give remote access management of the computer from a server to a workstation for example, being much more useful for a business environment than to a home user, right? Not sure if need this active and can disable it from BIOS too.

So basically in my case with getting a Chipset driver for Win 10 (from Intel for NUC boards or another manufacturer), LAN driver you gave me, and letting Windows handle the USB3 by itself, would be ok right? Assuming that I don't have estrange errors for using an untested driver of course...

By the way, how will you able to determinate that the driver for LAN from the NUC5i3MYBE board will work with my DH87MC. Couln't find the exact model of the Ethernet adapter from that NUC anywhere to compare it with mine which seems to be I217-V.

Same goes for the Chipset driver match you did between my board and the NUC driver.

Best,

• 9. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, you should be OK with that configuration. The Management Engine does a hell of a lot more than you realize, but it's true that most users don't need to have a driver installed for communicating with it. I don't remember being able to hide this interface in BIOS, however (I will have to go back and check). The Rapid Storage driver is similarly not absolutely necessary, but you can get improved performance with it installed (even if you don't utilize RAID).

I understand your stance on the audio solutions on these boards; I am personally not a fan of the Realtek solutions. But, since I used my boards mostly for software development, I was never worried about it. In the one that I do use for multimedia work in my office, I use an add-in solution as well (though I used a PCIe add-in card). In the NUC that I bought for my wife, I use an external USB audio solution. In the NUC that was my retirement gift from the group at Intel - and which I use as a HTPC - I put up with the internal audio as I use HDMI output to my receiver.

The LAN driver and INF Update packages should be a slam dunk because Intel has traditionally shipped support for all of the LAN and chipset solutions in these packages. I guess I shouldn't just assume - but I will call it an educated guess!

...Scott

• 10. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                            nexus01

Again, thank you for your time and insight on the matter!

Now its time to wait a couple of weeks until Intel makes a move and if not, I will go with your solution...

• 11. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                              rspeak

Ive got this board on order.

• 12. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                                rspeak

then i saw this post!

• 13. Re: DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?
                                  eclipse79

Hello,

since today in Download Center I see no drivers for windows 10. Are they in different locations?

Thanks

eclipse79

1 2 Previous Next