Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Windows 10 Upgrade Problem - NX Bit

RSouc
Beginner

I'm attempting to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft reports that I am unable to upgrade due to the absence of a processor that supports

NX. I checked and my 1st generation i3 530 processor has that feature. I checked the BIOS and that bit was enabled. I then updated the BIOS and the result was the same. If in fact the processor is at fault how would I know that until software is available that requires it? Please help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello rolysou,

When it comes to the processor itself it does support Windows 10 but now the issue here is that the integrated graphics does not, the Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor that you have has built in Intel® HD Graphics which does not support Windows 10. Here you can check the compatibility for the Intel® Pentium® Processor P4000/U3000 Series with Intel® HD Graphics http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems.

At this point I would recommend adding dedicated graphics card so that way it can support the Windows 10 graphics.

Regards,

Amy.

RSouc
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I am using an NVidia card for graphics. I did two things:

1. Unchecked the Execute Bit in the BIOS Advanced section thinking maybe the programmer got the code backwards

2. Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Performance/Data Execution Prevention and unchecked all entries in the window, plus put a check in the lower of the two choices.

I then rebooted and was then able to upgrade successfully. I cannot confirm which of the two actions above was responsible. The Execute Bit in the BIOS Advanced section remains unchecked.

Roland

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Roland, we're glad that you were able to update to Windows 10, we appreciate your feedback, I'm pretty sure that this will work for other customers.

Thank you,

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos