Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Change color depth in custom resolution (HD 4000) in Windows 10

ZFrie
Beginner

Hi all,

So, I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my custom built desktop (core i5 processor with HD 4000 graphics).

I am using the Seiki 39" UHD TV as my 4K monitor (HDMI 1.4 so 30Hz max at 4K).

Now, that EXACT setup ran Linux just fine in 4K 30Hz.

In windows 10, the max resolution showing was 1080p... Trying to add a custom resolution I ran into the following issue:

The color depth parameter lets me ONLY choose 32-bit. That results in my inability to set the resolution to 3840x2160 at 30Hz.

I can only use 24Hz... (otherwise I get an error message that bandwidth is too high)

How do I force the custom resolution creation to 16-bit or 24-bit color depth?!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Zachi.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Please try an HDMI 1.4a cable. This should help you with the problem.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
ZFrie
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I have tried various HDMI cables. Issue is NOT resolved.

I have used the sane setup with Linux - no problem at all. That is definitely an issue with Intel's driver for Windows 10.

2 problems, actually:

1. Intel's driver not having a 4K resolution option

2. Trying to add a custom resolution - it won't let me change color depth. 32-bit is the ONLY option...

Thanks,

Zachi.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ZachiF,

Please send me the information below.

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File>Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options

Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options>Drop Down Menu> Information Center> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

0 Kudos
ZFrie
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Please see the 2 files attached, as requested.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Zachi.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This information is intended to all Windows 10 users that are experiencing issues with a supported Intel® Graphics Controller (supported graphics)

Re: -NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit 15.40.4.64.4256

/message/321854# 321854 https://communities.intel.com/message/321854# 321854

See post # 93

Intel is following Windows 10 graphics issues. Please review the tread below and fulfill the form.

0 Kudos
ZFrie
Beginner

Thanks Mike - I have replied to Bryce on that other driver thread.

Hopefully, a new driver that resolves my issue would be released, soon...

0 Kudos