4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 3:09 AM by Posh

DH55PJ cold boot problem on UEFI GPT

Posh

Recently installed Windows 10 pro 64 bit after selecting UEFI boot in the BIOS, deleting all existing partitions (they were MBR) and creating fresh GPT partitions. Monitor connected via DVI to HDMI cable.

Problem 1: System will not cold boot after a shutdown. Stuck on Intel boot screen; no text at bottom right (boot options and boot code). Have to press the reset button to load Windows.

I was able to get around this by disabling fast start in Windows power options.

Problem 2. System will not cold boot after hibernating. Stuck on Intel boot screen; no text at bottom right (boot options and boot code). Have to press the reset button to load Windows.

Fast start is already disabled. Need help in figuring out what to do next.

Latest BIOS - TCIBX10H.86A.0048.EB.EXE

i3 540 processor with 4 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

This is a regular HDD (not SSD). I really want the fast start and hibernation to work. Everything was fine in Windows 7 in legacy boot to MBR partitions. Everything was fine after upgrading to Windows 10 in legacy boot to MBR partitions.

• 1. Re: DH55PJ cold boot problem on UEFI GPT
          marving_intel

Hello Posh,

As a friendly reminder Windows 10 is not compatible with the motherboard you have so the behavior that the system may show is unexpected based on that fact. Now, since the problem started happening after you did that clean installation you can try to do it again but having the drives as MBR and if that works we can confirm that is a compatibility problem, which again is expected because that motherboard was not intended to be used with Windows 10. 

Remember that Windows 10 provides the drivers through Windows Updates so you may not be able to get drivers from our Download Center page.

Please let me know if the installation with MBR partitions worked for you.

Best regards,

marving_intel

• 2. Re: DH55PJ cold boot problem on UEFI GPT
            Posh

Hi, Marving,

Thank you for replying.

Before converting to UEFI/ GPT, I was running Windows 7 64 bit in lecacy/MBR mode without any problems. I upgraded to Windows 10 to get my free upgrade. No problems.

Then I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit after selecting UEFI boot in the BIOS, deleting all existing partitions (they were MBR) and creating fresh GPT partitions. That's when I started noticing these problems.

Like you said, this is an old motherboard. If there is a possibility of getting some help in resolving this issue, I can go back to legacy mode, delete all my partitions, create MBR partitions, clean install Windows 10 and confirm that the problem is not there in legacy/MBR mode. But if after having done all that you're just going to say that this compatibility problem is expected because that motherboard was not intended to be used with Windows 10, and I just have to live with it, I might as save myself the trouble (all this wil take me several hours).

Bottom line: if the compatibility problem is confirmed, what are my chances that someone on this forum will come up with a solution - like a workaround or even a modded BIOS?

• 3. Re: DH55PJ cold boot problem on UEFI GPT
              N.Scott.Pearson

To be brutally frank, you will never see a BIOS update for this board. It is simply too old and too long out of warranty coverage for this to happen.

Marving has raised a very good possibility here that you should take the time to try. A lot has happened - including specification changes - with UEFI and GPT support in the past 5-6 years and compatibility with the Windows 10 perception of these features is the question. That said, Microsoft understands that there is a lot of legacy hardware out there and that support for it is necessary to their business. We know that this board's legacy/MBR support is solid, so why not try using it and, hopefully, avoid the compatibility issues?

...Scott

• 4. Re: DH55PJ cold boot problem on UEFI GPT
                Posh

Thanks, Marvin and Scott. Back to legacy/MBR it is.   It will take me a few days, though, because I'll have to back up the data on my other partitions and redo everything. Until then I'll live with not being able to hibernate or to use fast start.