Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Windows 10 but no DirectX 12

KVo1
Beginner

I upgraded to Windows 10 last week and I've just realized my laptop us still running with DirecX 10, which is quite puzzling because Win 10 is supposed to come with DirectX 12. I wonder if there is any requirements to use DirectX 12. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1464 running on Intel(R) Core i5 (Clarkdale) with Intel(R) HD Graphic (Ironlake), 3072 MB Ram.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Windows 10 is supposed to come with DirectX 12, but mine remains DirectX 10 (according to dxdiag tool). This problem seems unique to me because I haven't found someone with the same issue

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspriron 1464 (five years old)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No AMD or NV graphics

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

Generic PnP Monitor (LFP)

<tr style="border...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VTran8
Novice

Only Haswell support DirectX 12. Yours is too old.

0 Kudos
KVo1
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. So the only way for me to use DirectX 12 is to upgrade both the processor and the graphic unit?

0 Kudos
VTran8
Novice

You can't. The only choice to get DirectX 12 is to buy a new laptop. You should buy a laptop with Iris Pro Graphics instead of Haswell.

0 Kudos
Faubricio_G_Intel

Hi,

According to all the information you attached previously, the DDI version is 10.1. In other words, it is not possible to upgrade to directx12

Regards,

faugub_intel

0 Kudos