8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 7:57 PM by apchoo

Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update

Gambid

The Windows 10 update went without issues on my compute stick.

What I found out afterwards was that playback of even 720p and lower resolution videos was no longer smooth. The videos are now actually unwatchable. The issue is very visible when in full screen.

Are there any coming driver updates that plan to resolve the problem.

I tested this in the integrated Windows 10 Video Player and in VLC.

Best Regards

• 1. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
          Amy_Intel

Helllo Gambid,

This right now is the latest version Intel® Download Center that is available for the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
            apchoo

I concur.  Prior to my Win 10 upgrade, I was able to play upwards of 30GB HD 1080p mkv video file without any stuttering.  I'm using a powered USB hub and a USB-to-ethernet adapter.  After upgrading to Win 10 Home 32bit using Intel's V2 procedure (which completed smoothly) and applying the BT, GFX & Wireless drivers, the video playback is atrocious.  Any HD 1080p mkv file approaching 10GB is unwatchable.

I'm seriously considering reverting back to Win 8.1 using the recovery option.  The only reason why I haven't done so is the hope that a new 1in 10 GFX driver is released before my 28 days expire.

Has anyone reverted back to Win 8.1 with Bing from Win 10 Home?

• 3. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
              Amy_Intel

I understand that you're having issues with the graphics version you have but I can confirm that Intel is working to fix those issues with Windows 10 and the graphics driver. At this point you can stay with Windows 10 and wait until Intel resales a new version of the  graphics driver or you can go back to Windows 8.1 . Also, some of the most common issues with graphics drivers are being noted in the following link Re: -NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit 15.40.4.64.4256.

Regards.

• 4. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
                Gambid

Great knowing that you are working on this.

• 5. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
                  apchoo

Hi Amy,

I tried reverting back to Win 8.1 with Bing yesterday by following the "roll back to the factory-installed version of Windows 8.1" in the V2 document.  In step 4, after clicking Get Started, there is no such option of "Go back to Windows 8.1".  I chose "Advanced startup" and clicked the Restart Now button (the other option was "Reset this PC" which didn't seemed appropriate for what I wanted to do).

In the next screen I chose Troubleshoot -> Advanced Optioins -> Reset this PC.  What it did was re-installed Win 10 Home.  I tried a couple of things more but they all reverted back to Win 10 default install .  I even tried using the USB flash drive that contains my 8.1 recovery image without success.

Note that I upgraded to Win 10 Home 32bit by following the Intel V2 upgrade procedure.

So is there a means of reverting back from Win 10 Home to Win 8.1 with Bing for the compute stick?  I've decided that I do NOT want WIn 10 on my stick.  IMO the stick is under resourced for Win 10.  It's the first time I heard the fan on the stick come on after my Win 10 upgrade.  The fan even comes on when I'm watching just youtube videos.  Previously on Win 8.1 I never heard the fan even when I'm playing a 30GB mkv movie.

I'm desperate to get back to the original Win 8.1 with Bing.

• 6. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
                    RzR

Isnt Microsoft also providing an IoT flavour of windows10 ? I am wondering what could be the benefits of using it on ICS target ... and worth to be compared to plain GNU/Linux like ubuntu ...

• 7. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
                      Amy_Intel

Hello apchoo,

In this case it seems that the partition where Windows 8.1 was located could have been deleted therefore the reason the Reset option loaded Windows 10 again, at this point I would recommend is to contact Intel Customer Support for warranty replacement of your Compute Stick. You can use the following options to do that.

Online warranty: https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/emailpage.aspx

Chat support:  http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: Decreased GPU Performance After Windows 10 Update
                        apchoo

Thanks, @amy_intel.  I've submitted a SR to Intel for a replacement stick.

I've tried a couple more attempts at Win 8.1 rollback without an SD card (as per Intel's recommendation) again without success.  The disk management screen still shows the existence of the 6.35GB recovery partition ... though I have no idea what it now contains.  I also tried booting off my USB flash stick that supposedly contains the Win 8.1 recovery media created prior to the Win 10 upgrade ... no joy there either (how does one use that recovery media anyway?!?)