Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Most Recent Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver won't work with Windows 10

SNiel2
Beginner

I have a computer with four monitors. Two are powered by an AMD Radeon HD 7700 card and the other two are powered by my on-board Intel HD Graphics 4000. When I updated to Windows 10, the two AMD monitors came on but the Intel ones were black.

I eventually got the Intel monitors to work using the Win 7/8 driver provided by the manufacturer of the Motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V LK). According to Windows Device Manager, the driver is version 9.17.10.2828, which I believe is an older version of the Intel driver for Win 7/8.

Since then, I've tried everything possible to update the driver but nothing works. Windows update doesn't work. It says there is an updated driver available but it can't install it. It shows the following error.

" Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - Error 0x800f0203"

I tried going to the downloaded update in the Windows folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install) and right clicking on the .inf file to install it that way. I got BSODs.

I tried uninstalling the driver (and it's software) using the device manager and then updating it using the same process. This results in BSODs.

The intel driver update software doesn't work. It throws an error and says it is quiting setup.

No matter what I do, I'm forced to revert back to version 9.17.10.2828.

An Internet search reveals a few others reporting the same problem. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-pro-graphics-4000-error-0x800f0203/1d417296-0506-4798-a47c-37f0e8769bf6 Windows 10 Pro Graphics 4000 - Error 0x800f0203 - Microsoft Community

Can anyone possibly help with this problem? Should I just wait for an updated driver or is there something else to try?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This information is intended to all Windows 10 users that are experiencing issues with a supported Intel® Graphics Controller (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm supported graphics)

/message/321854# 321854 Re: -NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit 15.40.4.64.4256

See post # 93

Allan.

0 Kudos
SNiel2
Beginner

Allan,

Thanks so much for posting that link. I'll do my best to provide the information you need so you can investigate this issue. My answers are below and I've attached the files requested in the notes. I used the table in the link even though the text is centered (couldn't figure out how to change it and I tried a lot of things).

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

I cannot update the driver for my Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU. It is stuck on version 9.17.10.2828, which is the driver provided by the manufacturer of the motherboard.

The update fails 100% of the time. It has never successfully updated regardless of the many ways I've tried - e.g., Windows Update, Device Manager (the update driver option with the driver saved on my harddrive), right clicking the *.inf file in the Windows folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install), downloading the Intel driver *.exe file from Intel's website (https://goo.gl/fCEpJ4 https://goo.gl/fCEpJ4), etc.

The more gentle methods such as Windows update and using the driver *.exe file from Intel fail to update - e.g., Windows update says "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - Error 0x800f0203." The less gentle methods such as updating the driver with Device Manager produce multiple BSODs until finally Windows lets me boot into Safe Mode where I can delete the driver.

One thing to note is that Windows 10 has never recognized the HD Graphics 4000 iGPU on its own. For example, it should recognize it and install some basic driver but it has never done that. Instead, if I delete the driver, it just shows up as a generic video display device in Device Manager. The only way I can get it to work is to go into Device Manager and install the old driver (9.17.10.2828). That is the only way Windows will recognize it.

One more thing to note is that I tried installing the Win 8.1 driver just to see what happens and it does the same thing - BSODs (I have to do this through Device Manager). For some reason, the Win 7/8 driver works but the Win 8.1/10 drivers don't.

<tr style="border: 0px; font-weight: inherit; f...
0 Kudos
RHofe
Beginner

Hi,

I have an ASUS P8Z77-M PRO motherboard with an i7-3770 processor. I have the EXACT same results when trying to install the various drivers. Differences in my system are only 2 monitors with no other graphics controller. I couldn't have described this issue better.

0 Kudos
SNiel2
Beginner

I did a clean install of Windows 10 and it fixed the issue. I am now running the latest driver and everything appears to work well.

0 Kudos
DGlan
New Contributor I

dblagent - what driver do you have now? What level was provided in the clean install of win 10? Have you tried to update in any way? Thanks.

0 Kudos
SNiel2
Beginner

My Intel HD Graphics 4000 is currently running driver 10.18.10.4252, which is the most recent one according to Windows Update. I did a clean install of Windows from a USB drive (link to instructions: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html Windows 10 Forums). After the install, I installed all the Windows Updates and that was it.

I tried everything imaginable short of a clean install and nothing worked.

0 Kudos