Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

ECC support for 4th Gen Celeron, Pentium, Core i3? ARK says Yes, Datasheet says No

CStev4
Beginner

Context: building home / SOHO server using Supermicro Motherboard with Intel C220 series chipset

Question: is ARK correct? Or is Intel's datasheet correct?

Background: Intel acknowledged that ARK was incorrect for 3rd generation Core i3 chips (initially it said "YES" but then they revised it a year later to "NO"). They even refunded purchase price of 3rd gen Core i3 since I made the purchase based on what ARK claimed at the time.

Now, this year, we again seem to have ARK and datasheets making contradictory claims.

According to ARK, the follow is an example of Celeron, Pentium and Core i3 CPUs that support ECC memory (this is just a subset, not exhaustive list):

http://ark.intel.com/compare/77771,77769,77493,77495,77480,77486,77488,77490,78955,80800,77775,80794,80792,83428,87358,80798 ARK | Compare Intel® Products

But, their data sheet says:

Desktop 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family, Desktop Intel®

Pentium® Processor Family, and Desktop Intel® Celeron® Processor Family

Datasheet – Volume 1 of 2 March 2015

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1

On page 19 below the table named "Table 3. Processor DIMM Support by

Product" it says

AIO platform DDR3/DDR3L SO-DIMM Modules:

• Raw Card B – Single Ranked x8 unbuffered non-ECC

• Raw Card F – Dual Ranked x8 (planar) unbuffered non-ECC

Desktop platform UDIMM Modules:

• Raw Card A – Single Ranked x8 unbuffered non-ECC

• Raw Card B – Dual Ranked x8 unbuffered non-ECC

p.s., what started this search was trying to confirm the Pentium G3470 also supports ECC (ARK is blank). So I asked Intel Customer Support and they told me that none of the 4th generation CPUs support ECC memory.

Message was edited by: Craig Stevenson Fixed broken URL to the datasheet

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

It does support ECC memory. ECC Memory Supported indicates processor support for Error-Correcting Code memory. Note that ECC memory support requires both processor and chipset support.

Regards,

Steven V.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

It does support ECC memory. ECC Memory Supported indicates processor support for Error-Correcting Code memory. Note that ECC memory support requires both processor and chipset support.

Regards,

Steven V.