6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 6:00 AM by marving_intel

Unable to get video output on initial power up

mismjames

Hello All, I just received a new NUC5i3RYH along with a M.2 SSD and 8gb stick of memory.

I want to attach this to a TV via a VGA connection (the TV also has HDMI of course).  So I also

bought a miniDP-to-VGA adapter.  After installing memory and SSD, and connect it to the TV

via the adapter to initial boot, I get nothing (no signal detected) on TV.  I also tried a true monitor

via VGA, also nothing.  I do not have a miniHDMI-to-HDMI cable or I would try that.  I attached

headphones during the power on, I got just one solid beep for about a second, which I assume

means memory is ok.

My question is: are both miniDP and HDMI enabled for output initially, or is there a keyboard

sequence to swap between them???  My keyboard/mouse is USB 2.0 wireless if that matters.

The VGA inputs on the TV/monitor are known to be working.

My guess would be the adapter is not compatible (it says it's for Apple macs), but if anyone

has any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it very much.

Components:

Adapter: Fosmon HD1826 Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

Memory: Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B

SSD: Transcend 128 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 80 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS128GMTS800

Thanks, Steve

PS: to anticipate questions about why VGA over HDMI: it is because of sound, I like to

be switched over to "PC" on my TV (ie the VGA input) but still hear the audio from the

cable box (which is connected via HDMI through an A/V switcher).

• 1. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
          byrdchem

Steve,

When I first booted my new NUC5i7RYH a couple of weeks ago, I got no video output from either mini DP or HDMI into my Dell monitor.  (I did not try VGA output).  After searching around a bit, I found that updating to the latest BIOS (v 0348) cured the problem.  The BIOS that shipped with my NUC was at least 3 revisions old.  I had to remove the BIOS configuration jumper and reboot, and when the POST screen appears, press F7.  You need to have a USB thumb drive plugged in with the latest .bin file (BIOS) at the root level.  The rest is menu driven.  After updating BIOS, replace the jumper and reboot. I hope that cures your problem, but I can't make any guarantees.  Good luck.  I know how disappointing it is to get a blank screen from brand new NUC!

-Larry B. 

• 2. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
            mismjames

I don't understand, you say you got no video at all, but then you say

> and when the POST screen appears, press F7

Are you saying removing the configuration jumper magically made video appear?

Or that you just had the USB stick with the .bin file on it already plugged in and just

pressed F7 blind? But then how did you "navigate the menus" blind?

Please give me more details on the process.

I'm still looking for an answer to my original question though, are both DP and

HDMI enabled for output by default?

• 3. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
              byrdchem

Yes, DP and HDMI are enabled by default.  Try connecting directly from the mini DP or mini HDMI output of the NUC directly to DP or HDMI input of a computer monitor.  If you still see no video, try the BIOS update.  And yes, removing the BIOS configuration jumper forces the POST screen to appear with various options.  Have the USB drive plugged in with bin file and choose F7.  You will see the BIOS update progress on-screen.  The process is described here:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.

Good luck!

Larry B.

• 4. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
                mismjames

I don't have a DP monitor or a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable or I would have already tried

that (I still suspect the adapter, I can't believe Intel would ship a product that arrives

with no video output).  So I was looking for a workaround to avoid buying a mini-HDMI

cable because I still want to eventually use the VGA route if possible.

So I will try removing the jumper and see if I can get something that way.  I will report

back on my findings.

• 5. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
                  mismjames

Well I borrowed a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and that solved my problem.  I never did

try removing the jumper.  I updated the BIOS to latest and then retried the miniDP-to-VGA

adapter, but it still did not work.  So it's very likely the adapter doesn't work with the NUC

for some reason.

• 6. Re: Unable to get video output on initial power up
                    marving_intel

Hello mismijames,

The type of adapter that you are trying to use may not respond correctly because the conversion from digital (mini-DP) to analog (VGA) makes the signal to go weak from the source (NUC) to the target (monitor), which may cause no video issues. We always recommend to use straight connections from the device to the monitor, like you did using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, which made you confirm that the NUC responds fine. Now, you can also test with a mini-DP to DP cable (with a monitor that has DP support as well) and confirm if the DP port is working properly. Also you may consider getting an active mini-DP to VGA converter, which may be able to handle the signal in a better way and resolve the issue. The BIOS update suggestion is more applicable to digital solutions like the usage of HDMI or DP only, so that is the reason why even with the BIOS update you kept having the problem.

If you have more questions please let me know.

Best regards,

marving_intel