cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to clone my Intel 730 series 240 gb ssd with the Intel Migration software, but it wont let me select the ssd as a destination disk.

BSten
New Contributor

When I try to use the Intel Migration software, I am able to select my hard drive as my source disk. However, I am not able to select my ssd as the destination disk. I have tried cloning it before with other programs, but when I do that, the computer won't boot from the ssd. I have tried to wipe the ssd and start over, but it still does not let me select it as a destination drive. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-Blake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Bstenny

Intel® Data Migration Software is a free, basic tool and may not be able to clone drives under certain conditions such as uEFI systems and multiple partitions. You mentioned you tried to do it with other cloning tools to no avail. In this case, please consider the following recommendations:

- Make sure that your source drive has less space in use (including all partitions) than the space available in your Intel® SSD 730 Series 240 GB.

- Use Windows* tools to check the source drive for problems and fix File System errors. If the source has data errors then the clone operation will not complete.

- Which third-party tool did you try ?

Please check the following forums and links as they contain some useful information:

/message/211692# 211692 Re: "The Operation Failed."

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034081.htm?wapkw%253Ddata%252Bmigration%252Bsoftware.C... Intel® Data Migration Software FAQ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Bstenny

Intel® Data Migration Software is a free, basic tool and may not be able to clone drives under certain conditions such as uEFI systems and multiple partitions. You mentioned you tried to do it with other cloning tools to no avail. In this case, please consider the following recommendations:

- Make sure that your source drive has less space in use (including all partitions) than the space available in your Intel® SSD 730 Series 240 GB.

- Use Windows* tools to check the source drive for problems and fix File System errors. If the source has data errors then the clone operation will not complete.

- Which third-party tool did you try ?

Please check the following forums and links as they contain some useful information:

/message/211692# 211692 Re: "The Operation Failed."

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034081.htm?wapkw%253Ddata%252Bmigration%252Bsoftware.C... Intel® Data Migration Software FAQ

BSten
New Contributor

Thank you for your feedback. I used EaseUS partition master to clone my hard drive to my ssd. I was able to do it after much formatting and such, but as soon as I booted from the ssd, my home desktop screen would not stop flashing. Since I had spent the past two days trying to clone my drive, I just decided on a clean installation of windows to the ssd. This worked fine and the solid state drive was faster than my original hard drive, but I have decided to return my intel ssd and get a samsung 850 pro 256 gb for its faster speed at the same price point. This was not because of any problem with the 730 series, I just made the rookie mistake of not reading the benchmark tests between SSDs and finding the best one. I have now found that the 850 pro is the best SSD on the market for my price point and am going to purchase it. I appreciate your help, but until Intel can bring a SSD to the table that can rival the 850 pro, I will be sticking to samsung.

Thanks,

-Blake