Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Help diagnosing linux MCE error

MBush
Beginner

A little over a year ago, when I was first building this PC, I got several kernel panics with an Asus Z87-A and i7-4770k, and ended up returning them. Now, more than a year later, with different CPU, RAM and Motherboard, I'm getting the same type of error (Data CACHE Level-0 Write Error, and kernel panic). I think this is referring to the CPU cache, and therefore pointing to the CPU as the likely culprit, but I don't really know for sure.

I've attached the output of mcelog --ascii with the data from the old errors (transcribed from a photo of the screen before it rebooted) as mcelog.old, and the contents of /var/log/mcelog for the new errors.

My setup at the time of the first set of errors:

CPU: i7-4770k

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A

PSU: Corsair CX500M (500W)

Ram: 4x4gb sticks of Corsair something.

1 SSD, 1-2 HDD

Integrated graphics

My setup at the time of the second set of errors:

CPU: i7-4790k

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6

Cooler: Corsair H60 (enclosed liquid cooler)

PSU: Corsair CX500M (500W)

Up to 8 HDD/SSD/ODD

RAM: 4x8GB sticks of Kingston something.

GPU: HIS IceQ Radeon HD 7700.

Since the PSU is the only relevant component that's the same between the two builds, might that be the cause of the issue? The earlier errors might also be unrelated. The system has worked fine since I got the 4790k last year.

Any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

I would like to suggest resetting BIOS values to default.

Having done that, you may run the Linux* bootable version of the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool*.

If kernel panics have occurred immediately after installing new RAM, assure the DIMMS are properly installed and correctly seated in their expansion slots, the sockets into which the DIMMs are installed. Try also with just one stick of RAM.

Regards,

Steven V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

I would like to suggest resetting BIOS values to default.

Having done that, you may run the Linux* bootable version of the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool*.

If kernel panics have occurred immediately after installing new RAM, assure the DIMMS are properly installed and correctly seated in their expansion slots, the sockets into which the DIMMs are installed. Try also with just one stick of RAM.

Regards,

Steven V

0 Kudos