3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 12:02 PM by PabloM_Intel

MakeBlock XY Plotter interface with Edison (with Arduino BB)

kks

Hello,

I am trying to interface an XY plotter from MakeBlock with the Intel Edison. This is my first project with the Edison board. The background work so far is given below:

The Edison is attached with the Arduino breakout board. I have interfaced the servo/stepper motors on the XY plotter using the Arduino Orion Shield which works fine. Now,I want to port this exclusively using the Edison, without using the Orion shield.

For that, I have made the necessary hardware connections by studying the schematics. I am now working on the SW part. My idea is to reuse the XY plotter firmware code which worked with the Orion shield previously by making the necessary changes (esp., with respect to the headers) and flashing it onto the Edison-Arduino board. Could someone please help me with the details as to how I can go about this?

Thanks in advance!

BR,

KKS.

Message was edited by: KRISHNAKUMAR SHETTI The XY plotter firmware code (in Arduino C) is attached.

• 1. Re: MakeBlock XY Plotter interface with Edison (with Arduino BB)
          PabloM_Intel

Hi kks,

Did you attached the Arduino Orion Shield to your Edison Arduino Board or did you test this shield with a different board? Looking at the firmware code you provided, I see that it calls the SoftwareSerial library. This library is currently not compatible with the Edison because it has a lot of dependencies on the AVR architecture. It would be necessary to rewrite this library so that it can be used with your Edison. I still need to check the other libraries that the firmware calls to see if this process is also necessary for the other ones, but there’s a lot of work to be made if you want to make it work with your board.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: MakeBlock XY Plotter interface with Edison (with Arduino BB)
            kks

Hi PabloM_Intel,

Thanks for your response.

I initially connected the Orion Shield and interfaced the XY plotter. It worked without any issues.

Now, we want to use Edison in place of Orion. As the first step, we got a PCB and soldered all the RJ25 ports. Then, we interfaced a simple Stepper Motor using the Edison to check the connections. And it worked fine.

Now, our work is to make the XY Plotter firmware to run on the newly assembled board, which is tied to Edison. As you have pointed out, the issue is with the incompatible libraries which are targeted at AVR presently. So, the only solution is to write the libraries myself then, I guess? The prospect seems quite Herculean!

Is there any place where I can check if the libraries I need are available? Like GIT, for example?

Thanks in advance!

BR,

KKS.

• 3. Re: MakeBlock XY Plotter interface with Edison (with Arduino BB)
              PabloM_Intel

Hi kks,

At this moment, I’m not aware of any place where you can find this library for Edison. However, there’s a workaround for Galileo Gen2 that allows using pins 2 and 3 as a serial interface (SoftwareSerial). I’m not sure if this is going to help you but you can try it. You can check the file and see if you’re able to make the proper changes so that it works with the Edison board.

https://github.com/MakersTeam/Galileo/tree/master/Arduino-Examples/SoftwareSerial.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel