Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

i350-T4 Enumerated incorrectly Win2012 R2

HKupp
Beginner

Greetings!

I have the most bizarre-o issue with a newly installed i350-t4 in a Dell Poweredge T420 server. Here's the output of PROSetCL Adapter_Enumerate

C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX\CL>PROSetCL adapter_enumerate

Number of adapters currently present: 6

1) Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

2) Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet # 2

3) Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4

4) Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # 3

5) Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # 4

6) Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # 2

As you can see, the ports are not enumerated correctly.

At the outset, installed the card, attempted to create a Dynamic Link Aggregate Team and the machine became unstable and quickly BSOD'd. Through thorough troubleshooting, using the port identification utility, determined that the ports as listed in the device manager and in the network connections were bound to the wrong physical ports. This is of course verified by the PROSetCL adapter_enumerate command output.

Updating the driver to 12.14.7.0 seems to have fixed the issue of windows completely abandoning the adapter drivers and falling back to 10/100 after attempting to update.

How do I straighten this out so that the ports are enumerated correctly in Windows? It seems pretty obvious that this is what is causing the instability and the inability to create the desired team. Please correct me if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree. I think this is the root of all evil, however.

Thanks in advance!

Harold

0 Kudos
10 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HKConsulting,

Thank you for the post.

1) What is the operating system used?

2) Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the network adapter?

3) Have you tried plugging the I350-T4 on other slots to test?

4) What is the PROSet version you used?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
HKupp
Beginner

Thank you for the post.

1) What is the operating system used?

W2k12R2

2) Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the network adapter?

Yes

3) Have you tried plugging the I350-T4 on other slots to test?

Yes

4) What is the PROSet version you used?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HKConsulting,

Thank you. Checking on your information, can you clarified what you refer to "Updating the driver to 12.14.7.0 seems to have fixed the issue of windows completely abandoning the adapter drivers and falling back to 10/100 after attempting to update"?

Are you saying previously there was an issue of speed downgraded to 10/100 mbps? and this issue was fixed via updating the driver to 12.14.7.0?

Please help clarify. Thank you.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
HKupp
Beginner

Apologies for the delay; I had a rash of customers doing w10 updates. It seems that is the case. Updating the driver seemed to fix the fallback problem. I will be on site tomorrow in the afternoon for some quality time with the machine. I'll post anything else I observe.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HKConsulting,

No worries and thank you for the update, I will wait for your further feedback.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
HKupp
Beginner

Just some more info in case it shakes something loose.. Server NICs are connected to a Netgear GS724Tv4 with latest firmaware. The Public network is connected by a Cradlepoint MBR1400v2 router, also with firmware up to date. The server has the latest firmware provided by Dell using the iDRAC/Lifecycle Controller updater.I have removed the Hyper-V role and the iSCSI role and I'm certain the computer is clean of any malware. I am going to do some more homework on my end tonight and I'll update with any results.

HK

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HKConsulting,

Thank you for the additional info. Please feel free to update us.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
HKupp
Beginner

OK.. I couldn't get to the office today so I did some experimenting using an RDP; but I decided to look at Windows instead of Intel issues. Apparently this is a known issue with Windows.

I first went to the Advanced Settings in the Network Adapters and found the binding order almost random. I straightened them out as such:

Nic1

Nic2

Slot2 Port1

Slot2 Port2

Slot2 Port3

Slot2 Port4

Then I checked with the bootutilw64e -e utility and I get this:

Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility

BootUtil version 1.5.54.1

Copyright (C) 2003-2015 Intel Corporation

NIC= 1 MACAddress=A0369FA125E0

NIC= 2 MACAddress=A0369FA125E1

NIC= 3 MACAddress=A0369FA125E2

NIC= 4 MACAddress=A0369FA125E3

Port Network Address Location Series WOL Flash Firmware Version

==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======

1 A0369FA125E0 2:00.0 Gigabit NO UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.5.70

2 A0369FA125E1 2:00.1 Gigabit N/A UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.5.70

3 A0369FA125E2 2:00.2 Gigabit N/A UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.5.70

4 A0369FA125E3 2:00.3 Gigabit N/A UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.5.70

They seem to be in order correctly with the correct MAC address assigned to the correct port.

When I check the Network Adapters, though they after rebooting, are displaying as such:

Nic1

Nic2

Slot2 Port1 (Mouseover=Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4)

Slot2 Port4 (Mouseover=Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # 2)

Slot2 Port2 (Mouseover=Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # 3)

Slot2 Port3 (Mouseover=Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4)# 4)

But mouseover each shows the Device name in the correct order,as listed by the name from bootutilw64e -e in the correct order, despite the order of the Network Adapters returned by the Network Adapters panel as above.

I will go to the shop tomorrow and using a network cable, I will see which is correct. If the mouseover is indeed correct, can I just change the [Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 # whatever] information in the registry and be done with it?

I checked the advanced bindings and they did not move during the reboot.

Would love it if this were the answer!

HK

0 Kudos
HKupp
Beginner

OK. It seems I am correct in my assumptions above. Now I have a new problem. Actually, its a problem I thought was resolved, but apparently not. If I enable more than one adapter and connect it to the switch, after about a minute or so, it stops functioning with:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) and then the switch detects a 10/100 connection, but this is consistent with the device powered, but in an error state or disabled.

There is no teaming or anything special set up on the i350, nor is there any LAGs set up on the switch.

Really starting to lose hair, now.

HK

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HKConsulting,

Thank you for the information. I would like to clarify based on what you mentioned, does it mean the incorrect enumeration of NICs is resolved? What you are checking right now is the disconnecting issue when you enabled more than one adapter and connect it to the switch, after about a minute or so, it stops functioni. How many network adapters are installed on your system? What are the other network adapter model?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos