3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 10:22 AM by ScarberiaComputerGuyt

5I5ryh problems installing Windows 10

planey

Upgraded my NUC5I5RYH from Win 8.1 to 10 with no problem. Wanted to do a clean install of Win 10. Win 8'1 was getting unstable. Thought that might carry over to the Win 10 upgrade so wanted to do a clean install.  Planned to install on a new Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2

When trying to install I am always stopped at a screen for choosing what disk you want to install Windows on. The error message says: "Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partion1". When I click the details box it says: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting from this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu".

I have tried every BIOS setting I can find dealing with disks. I have tried formatting the disk. I can read and write to the disk when it is installed as D: drive. I tried with a Samsung 830 SATA SSD. Same fail & message. I have tried installing with MS USB install and from an ISO burned to a DVD.

I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks

Pat

• 1. Re: 5I5ryh problems installing Windows 10
          dougho

I have not tried it, so this is a complete guess.  The two things I would wonder (both seem equally important): First, have you tried using the key like F10 immediately after power on and be sure that you are booting the desired mode such as UEFI for the USB or DVD?  Second, whether you see the screen like previous versions of Windows where it shows the disk and any partitions, and I always delete each of the partitions until there is only unpartitioned space, and that is where I tell Windows to install.

• 2. Re: 5I5ryh problems installing Windows 10
            planey

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think the problem is with the disk partions as I formated the disk a couple of times.

I tried formating the disk under UEFI and Legacy.This might still be the problem though. Need to do more research on this. I think I was using Legacy all the time but it is worth checking.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: 5I5ryh problems installing Windows 10
              ScarberiaComputerGuyt

Hi. I'll reemphasize what dougho said about removing the partitions.  I wanted a clean install also.  When I went to install Win10 a second time (after installing the upgrade over Win8.1), I removed all existing partitions (not just formatting the disks), directed Win10 Setup which drive to install on (I have both M.2 and 2.5-inch SATA), and Win10 Setup went ahead and setup several partitions on the drive.

It worked

Hope this helps!