2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 6:52 AM by healmypc

Port 0 is SATA 2 but the other ports are only SATA 1

healmypc

I'm writing you because Acer wants to charge me for this answer, even though the computer has 2.5 of 3 years warranty left!  I have an Acer M661.  Its motherboard uses an ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller..  As I wrote above, only Port 0 is recognized as being SATA 2.  The other ports are only running SATA 1 - even though the board supports RAID.  Is the board defective?  Is this the reason there's an almost continual volume verification process running?  What's the story?  Also, I don't know if this is indicative of anything else, I'm unable to access the Intel ME as well.

One other thing - is there a problem running two almost identical drives - same size, manufacturer, etc. - the only difference is the amount of buffer - 16MB vs 32MB in a RAID 1 (mirror) configuration?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Port 0 is SATA 2 but the other ports are only SATA 1
          Curious592

This sounds familiar.  How did you determine SATA 1 vs 2?  What OS are you using?  Do not dismiss this issue and if you can't access the ME to provide Acer more information, get them to deal with it.  It sounds like you are implementing RAID that isn't original so they may say you have voided the warranty however.  Now that I think about it, I believe Port 0 is treated differently.

• 2. Re: Port 0 is SATA 2 but the other ports are only SATA 1
            healmypc

I determined SATA 1 vs 2 using the Intel Storage Manager software, which was bundled with the PC. I finally convinced them to replace the motherboard, however, the password issue with ME exists with the new board as well.  I haven't installed the Storage Manager software as of yet, as I'm trying to keep things as simple and clean as possible.

Port 0 did register as SATA 2. With six ports and integrated RAID, I can't imagine that's the only port that would support SATA 2.