12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2015 9:34 AM by kevin_intel

Intel compute stick can't just shut down

mohoule

Hi,

I use some intel compute stick for digital signage. I need to schedule a shutdown each day. It works for shutting down but the stick always reboot itself after. I don't know why and if it's possible to force it to not reboot.

thanks,

• 1. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
          Choong

As far as I know, the Compute Stick is unable to wake from real time clock. I am too trying to use it for digital signage and my work-around for now is to turn off the screen and keep the stick running.

• 2. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
            mohoule

Well, waking the stick up is the next step,but for now i don't really mind that someone power up the TV manualy and the stick power itself up because it's plugged into the USB TV.

My question is why if i shutdown the stick, it reboot everytime. It should just shutdown, the tv should lost the video signal/shutdown and then the stick will auto power up when someone will power up the TV again.

I don't understand why i can shutdown manualy the stick and it stay down but every thing scheduled reboot instead of shutting down.

I would like to cool down the stick during the night because it get really hot playing video all day long.

I can probably use your work around but the stick will play video 24/24 7/7 , i'm not sure it's a good thing

• 3. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
              mohoule

I just try the brand new stick i received whitout any update and it doesn't reboot like the other one. i will have to find what is different between the 2 stick. Maybe a defective one ...

• 4. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                Choong

Oh, I have misread your earlier post. So the problem is that when you try to shutdown, it actually reboots?  I don't think I have encountered this problem. Are you running the Windows or Ubuntu version? Actually, I have tried both versions and they seem to work fine.

You mentioned that your Compute Stick is plugged into the USB TV. Maybe you should try using the supplied adapter and see if you have the same problem. If it works with the external adapter, the problem could be caused by the "power off" of the TV triggered by the Compute Stick shutdown, and if the USB power does come back again from the TV, this might cause it to boot-up again (There is a setting in the BIOS for "Power state" and I think the default is "Always on".

• 5. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                  BoonXeven

As Choong said, it's a setting in the BIOS. Press F2 on boot to enter the bios. arrow over to the configuration tab. There is a setting called "Power State". It has the choice between "Always ON", and "Always OFF". It comes by default set to always on. If it's set to always on, anytime that power is restored to the compute stick, it will automatically turn on. If it's set to always off, then applying power doesn't do anything. You have to manually press the power button, or power it on programmatically, via task scheduler, wake on lan, etc. I've not powered it programmatically, so I can't say what does or doesn't work, but your current issue can be resolved by changing the BIOS setting to "Always OFF".

• 6. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                    mohoule

Well, the brand new one i received is working like it should. The old one that i pre-order is the one in trouble, i'll see if there's a bios update, i don't remmember if there's one and if i did it.

All your informations are good, but it's cleary something that is not working as it should.

• 7. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                      BoonXeven

On the system that isn't working like you want it, is the setting for "Power State" in the BIOS set to "Always on" or "Always off"? If your only problem is that it turns on when the TV supplying the power turns on, that's not a problem. That's a feature, and there is an option to configure it how you want it. IMG_20150806_131746.jpg

• 8. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                        BoonXeven

After rereading what you wrote, I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. If your problem is that you can't shutdown the computer, because it reboots immediately, then that's probably a driver or BIOS firmware issue. You can download the latest updates here -https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Compute+Stick+STCK1A32WFC

Make sure to grab the version that fits your OS, because there are two versions of some of them, one for Windows 8 and one for Windows 10.

• 9. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                          mohoule

Seems like everything is back to normal, i don't really understand what happened.

I'll update everything and i'll comback here if the trouble start again.

I'm curious about whitch server/software do you use for digital signage?

This stick is definitly made for digital signage, The only thing that would help me is a windows pro to hook it up to my domain but it's just an extra.

• 10. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                            BoonXeven

I'm not using it for digital signage. I bought it mostly out of curiosity. I've been using it as my "desktop" at work lately. I don't need much though, email, SSH, and a web browser does the trick. For that, it works well. I just upgraded to Windows 10, but was using the 8.1 that came with it. Glad it's working for you now.

• 11. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                              Choong

Hi mohoule,

It is me that is using the ICS for digital signage. My company developed the software. Before ICS, we were mainly using NUC. But the price and performance of the ICS made in very attractive for our customers.

• 12. Re: Intel compute stick can't just shut down
                                kevin_intel

Thank you very much for all the comments on this post.

Let’s keep it up!