12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 12:19 PM by CHerbst

Why Galileo not slef connecting to router

elwolv

hello

very beginners question!

why Galileo with driver  for centrino 135N WiFi card requires Ethernet cable connection

to the router to obtain the IP address?

labtop with other WiFi adaptor  self seeking network connecting to the router and acquiring its IP address?

why this difference?

• 1. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
          xthunderheartx

Did you configure the wifi interface to use DHCP?  The network interfaces on the galileo are configured using connman.  Like this maybe:

root@Garviel:~# connmanctl

connmanctl> help

state                                Shows if the system is online or offline

technologies                          Display technologies

enable          <technology>|offline  Enables given technology or offline mode

disable        <technology>|offline  Disables given technology or offline mode

tether          <technology> on|off

wifi [on|off] <ssid> <passphrase> Enable, disable tethering, set SSID and passphrase for wifi

services        [<service>]          Display services

--properties      [<service>]      (obsolete)

peers          [peer]                Display peers

scan            <technology>          Scans for new services for given technology

connect        <service/peer>        Connect a given service or peer

disconnect      <service/peer>        Disconnect a given service or peer

config          <service>            Set service configuration options

--nameservers    <dns1> [<dns2>] [<dns3>]

--timeservers    <ntp1> [<ntp2>] [...]

--domains        <domain1> [<domain2>] [...]

--ipv6            off|auto [enable|disable|preferred]|

manual <address> <prefixlength> <gateway>

--proxy          direct|auto <URL>|manual <URL1> [<URL2>] [...]

[exclude <exclude1> [<exclude2>] [...]]

--autoconnect    yes|no

--ipv4            off|dhcp|manual <address> <netmask> <gateway>

--remove                          Remove service

monitor        [off]                Monitor signals from interfaces

--services        [off]            Monitor only services

--tech            [off]            Monitor only technologies

--manager        [off]            Monitor only manager interface

--vpnmanager      [off]            Monitor only VPN manager interface

--vpnconnection  [off]            Monitor only VPN connections

agent          on|off                Agent mode

vpnconnections  [<connection>]        Display VPN connections

vpnagent        on|off                VPN Agent mode

session        on|off|connect|disconnect|configEnable or disable a session

--bearers        <technology1> [<technology2> [...]]

--type            local|internet|any

help                                  Show help

exit                                  Exit

quit                                  Quit

connmanctl> technologies

/net/connman/technology/ethernet

Name = Wired

Type = ethernet

Powered = True

Connected = True

Tethering = False

/net/connman/technology/wifi

Name = WiFi

Type = wifi

Powered = False

Connected = False

Tethering = False

/net/connman/technology/bluetooth

Name = Bluetooth

Type = bluetooth

Powered = False

Connected = False

Tethering = False

connmanctl> services

*AO Wired                ethernet_984fee01770e_cable

connmanctl> enable wifi

Enabled wifi

connmanctl> services

*AO Wired                ethernet_984fee01770e_cable

MyLittleRedTractor  wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk

DIRECT-roku-481FA0  wifi_685d43256912_4449524543542d726f6b752d343831464130_managed_psk

connmanctl> agent on

Agent registered

connmanctl> config wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk --ipv4 dhcp

connmanctl> connect wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk

Agent RequestInput wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk

Passphrase = [ Type=psk, Requirement=mandatory, Alternates=[ WPS ] ]

WPS = [ Type=wpspin, Requirement=alternate ]

Passphrase? <imnotgonnatellya>

Connected wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk

connmanctl> config wifi_685d43256912_4d794c6974746c6552656454726163746f72_managed_psk --autoconnect yes

connmanctl> exit

root@Garviel:~# ifconfig

enp0s20f6 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 98:4F:EE:01:77:0E

inet addr:192.168.0.16  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::9a4f:eeff:fe01:770e/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:3336 errors:0 dropped:17 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:3022 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:383271 (374.2 KiB)  TX bytes:375955 (367.1 KiB)

Interrupt:50 Base address:0xc000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1

RX packets:175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:13404 (13.0 KiB)  TX bytes:13404 (13.0 KiB)

wlp1s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 68:5D:43:25:69:12

inet addr:192.168.0.155  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::6a5d:43ff:fe25:6912/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:55 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:10578 (10.3 KiB)  TX bytes:9799 (9.5 KiB)

root@Garviel:~#

That'll do it chief.

• 2. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
            elwolv

hello;

that the first problem encountered:

no connmanctl  (or connman) on the Intel Yocto image

and since we do not have wireless we could not connect to router to download and add package by opkg

that all i know!  Linux/Unix requires us to learn lot of information and not easy to find answers in books?

the reason the router far away to connect by ethernet cable, of course we can get closure, and we get IP

and that my question, why the IP need to be acquired like that, while laptop do not requires such action form us?

thank you for your time and help, i will follow this instruction, back to how to get connman without cable/ NOt possible?

and why this application program called con man!!!

thanks again

• 3. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
              xthunderheartx

connman is installed by default on all recent versions of the Intel Yocto image.  Make sure you are using the latest released IOTDK image which you can find here: http://iotdk.intel.com/images/1.1/iot-devkit-201409031152-mmcblkp0.direct.bz2

I think you need a 16 gig sdcard for that image but there is an 8gig and a 4 gig image in the same directory.

Burn that, stick it in, boot and go.  Connman will be there.

• 4. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                elwolv

hello thunder

new uSD 16 GB and this particular version = connman present

yes the cable not connected and we can see that

thank you for your help = appreciated greatly

wifi not connected?  again the same question in different context or the original purpose of the question???

if Galileo board used with program in device and we want it to connect to wifi

now the wifi location and router unknown to us on the device, we turn the laptop and we get connection

and we turn Galileo we get no connection on the device and we could not do any IoT remotely with the device...

I hope that clear question, what the use if Galileo board moved inside a device and turned on,

and we assuming it will connect to the wifi (among other technologies on board to do lot of things beside iot)

AUTOMATICALLY and give us the programming source of remote-control through local wireless that available

then, how to use it in this manner, if the IP address not obtained by cable from the device to a router

Edison assumed in device and should be able to connect without cable to perform its IoT tasks when the device arrive at a location

we should assume that the user will do nothing and the IoT program in device takes over, and we just make the correct call to this

known URL and we get remote connection (whatever the details of this process, that we understand the purpose of IoT? correct  )

where  we wrong in these assumption? or what the correct view on how to do that?  we need some clear

presentation on this point to avoid further questions !!!

internet and Linux/Unix OS not a familiar reading territory to many not involved with server!!

note we were happy to use windows over Unix shell commands!!

thank you

• 5. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                  xthunderheartx

Humm ... unfortunately the language difference makes it difficult to understand your question but maybe you want to connect to a mesh network or some similar technology.  That I can't help you with.  I see you are more comfortable with MicroSux WinDog which I am so sorry to hear.  In many of the more civilized parts of the Galaxy, that O.S. (Odious Service) is considered a social disease.

I'm afraid I don't know how to make the Galileo automatically connect to just any old wifi hotspot it happens to come into range of.  That just isn't the way traditional wifi works.

Good luck.  Hope you figure it out.

• 6. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                    elwolv

hello thunder

thank you for your efforts and answers, it did help

however, the question stand to INTEL IOT TEAM:

how a galileo or edison device in a refrigerator for example, will communicate with WiFi in the house

unless we miss-understood IOT meaning, we should be able to communicate with device remotely, and how

to set up the board without cable by user?  can some one explain the this step in any IOT connection

we not building network, but the simple IOT objectives?

I hope the language clear for this question?

thanks to all always

• 7. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                      Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

If I understood you correctly you would be able to communicate through wifi inside your house, as long as the device you are communicating to is in the valid distance range. First you’d have to connect the device to the internet. Once you have an IP address, other devices will be able to connect to the Edison and you’ll be able to communicate remotely. There are a few methods to connect remotely, such as ssh, that is used in the XDK or Eclipse, for example.

Sergio

• 8. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                        elwolv

thank you

however, the question stand for Intel

IoT  means we build a device with some communication to WiFi

using Galileo or Edison

if that device inside a product and taken home by user

how will the device inside the product will communicate

if we do not perform the ethernet cable connection step

to get device to work with WiFi at home

the question not about how to connect, but why we do not have

automated search and link on start up built into the driver,

just like my computer does, if not then IoT in this regard not possible

Again the question to Intel, how do we make the network of IoT

automated , if i can not do it now on the desk top bench, how

in real device inside a product at automation??

ot tell me how IoT intended to be used in this regard

if i did miss-the-point?????

• 9. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                          CHerbst

So it seems you're asking why doesn't the device automatically connect to a WiFi connection as soon as it sees one.  I'm not from Intel, but feel I can say IoT doesn't mean it will automatically connect.  My computer doesn't automatically connect, and neither does my phone, and with the recent news of a car being hacked I bet automatic connection will become much harder as security is improved.  In fact at my house no device will automatically connect to my internet on first use, and must be set up to connect because our internet is password protected.  Many homes have a password protection so any device you would sell to a costumer will need a first time set up to connect to that network.

However, I will say that it would be nice to have an easier/ more user friendly setup for customers.  Such as for some devices where they connect to it with a computer over an ethernet cable and input the factory IP address in a web browser where they then can setup the device. (This may even be implementable by you).  I do know that once the Galileo has connected to a network it will automatically connect after reboot.

• 10. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                            elwolv

thank you for you clear answer

yes we do perform set up. stand corrected

however, cable connection to set up IP not feasible option

then a method to enter IP to the device becomes needed, and that means

hardware interaction from a device embedded in a home appliance

something the Intel need to figure our, we could not tell the router company

or hardware manufacturers what to do

thank you for your answer

• 11. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                              xthunderheartx

I don't think you are missing the point, I think it is more accurate to say that you are inventing one.  "Internet of Things" is NOT a specification.  It is in fact a generalization.  There is no overarching 'rule' that says a "Thing" that is connected to the net will use any specific technology, process or proceedure to do that, wired, wifi, bluetooth, automatic or otherwise.  It is for you the designer to accomplish this feat in whatever method you desire, possibly using mechanisms that are standardized like Wifi Direct for instance.  As an example the application we will be releasing in a few weeks in fact connects to the cloud via an analog modem!  There are intervening gateways that put information communicated from these nodes into the cloud.  That is what design is about: Figuring out (with the help of others, often long dead) how to make things work.

It sounds to me like you want to make some product that connects to some public network in some unspecified way.  I can tell you that if you expect to sell this product to consumers who take it home and it majically connects to their existing, standard, secured wifi network then you are out o' luck pal.  It ain't gonna happen.  You could however, write an application that constantly scans for open networks and just tries to connect to the first one it finds.  The linux wifi API is open, available and it works.  Git ta skippin' .  I can attest that wifi infrastructure and adhoc modes work out of the box on Galileo and I believe people have made true Wifi Direct mode work on Edison.  I had no luck with it on the Galileo, possibly because the wifi cards I have for development don't support it.  In any event, the point is that the Galileo and Edison are general purpose, low-cost platforms suitable for IoT applications, not IoT applications in an of themselves.

As for automatic connection however, I can give you an example of how it can work. This isn't how you want your app to work, it is how mine works for a very specific part of it's functionality, i.e. the configuration and maintenance interface.

First, we have a systemd script that on boot, configures the wifi interface to act as an adhoc network host with a predetermined and fixed SSID.  When a technician approaches the device for the first time with a wifi enabled tablet, phone, whatever, he scans looking for this predetermined SSID.  When he sees that station he selects it for connection and provides the security passphrase.  He then accomplishes his task through an http portal which the device provides to do whatever maintenance action is required.  Then he goes home, plays with his kids, eats dinner with his wife whatever.  A week later he comes back and as soon as he gets in range of this device, it will automatically connect and he is in business again.  The Galileo, acting as an adhoc host, provides the IP address to the tablet via DHCP (the connman does this is incredibly annoying but it does work.) and lighttpd serves our maintenance interface up to the technician just dandy.  His tablet "remembers" the connection just like any other.  If he configures his tablet to automatically connect then it all just works.

The Galileo doesn't do all that just automajically.  I had to figure out how to make it do these things.  That is what design is and why they pay us the big bucks.  Well in my case the big paper clips anyway.

Again, the term "IoT" at least conceivably, does not specify the communications mechanism which is used to connect the Thing to the Cloud.  It is instead an idea that says things are unique, connected and observable/controllable in the cloud.  How that happens is for you and I to decide.

So go for it KeemoSobee.  Get in there and figure it out.  If you are waiting around for Intel to tell you how to do it I think you may be waiting quite a while.

Dallas

• 12. Re: Why Galileo not slef connecting to router
                                CHerbst

So just looked into some things on my Galileo and thought maybe you would want to know some of this information.  I have the Galileo Gen 2 and using the IoT version with the SD card and all that.  I noticed that saved onto the device under www/pages there is a file called index.html.  This file is pretty useful.  Right now my Galileo is already setup with a wireless connection, but this may still help your case.  Since it's connected to my company's network I just put my Galileo's IP address into a web browser and get the index.html file.  Depending on what you can code into that file you may be able to get some of your needs out of it.  For simple starters I made a link to my company's website along with a greeting to indicate an established communication to the Galileo.  You may be able to use this to help with first time setup for your customers.