2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 4:16 PM by the_panther

I upgraded my laptop's processor from T4200 to P8800 but my laptop goes down after login screen now. What can be the problem?

the_panther

Hi, i have a laptop (toshiba a300) and the original processor is dual core T4200. I bought this processor core 2 duo P8800 to upgrade my laptop because i saw in the compatibility list of my motherboard with chipset gm45 that this processor was supposed to work.

After a few seconds (time to get to the login screen and entering my account), my computer goes down and restarts after 2 or 3 seconds.

I don't know what is the problem but i noticed now that T4200 TDP is 35W and P8800 TDP is 25W. Can that be the reason why it is not working?

I noticed also that the FSB is different too, T4200 --> 800MHz, P8800 --> 1066MHz. could this be the problem?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: I upgraded my laptop's processor from T4200 to P8800 but my laptop goes down after login screen now. What can be the problem?
          mikec_intel

The socket type of both processors is the same PGA478; they fit the motherboard socket; however, it is necessary to check with your laptop manufacturer if the BIOS of the board contains the microcode of the new Intel® Pentium™ P8800.

It seems the processor is not recognized properly and BIOS sends the alert to shutdown the system.

Mike C

• 2. Re: I upgraded my laptop's processor from T4200 to P8800 but my laptop goes down after login screen now. What can be the problem?
            the_panther

@mikec_intel thanks for the answer.

My laptop is Toshiba A300-276 PSAGCE and i went to see in the toshiba forums and asked the same thing. I had an answer from one user there saying that toshiba doesn't support cpu upgrades and is for users own risk to change their cpu... Not a single info of "inside H2O 2.20" bios version -.-

I searched also for a place to write to toshiba support but the automatic support sends me to forums...

i'll try to search for it again.

One more thing, i found in several places that computer going down either at the beginning or at windows login screen is many times related to a capacitor "Nec Tokin OE907". Don't know if this is the problem.

After i reset the bios to try another solution, p8800 still wouldn't work but when i switched to t4200, it had the same problem as p8800 and went down, next i entered in security mode and rebooted, after that the old t4200 worked again...

I really think this could be a nec tokin capacitor issue, it happens a lot in toshiba laptops from several models that have this capacitor.

Well' thanks again for the answer mikec