4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 2:43 PM by Intel_Peter

Edison works with Nest?

speck95051

Hi, we are working on  an energy saving fan system for residential homes and want to design it to work with Googles Nest product. Does anyone know if Edison would be a suitable platform to interact with Nest? This is how Nest describes their architecture:

App-to-Cloud WWN connections make Nest API calls directly from a device. Cloud-to-Cloud WWN connections make calls from your cloud service.
        • 1. Re: Edison works with Nest?
          Intel_Peter

Hello speck95051,

As far as I understand the Google's Nest is an embedded Linux based platform with a Web API, right?

Personally I haven't seen anyone trying to interact with Nest using an Edison. However according to its features (such as being an embedded Linux based platform) I believe one should be able to communicate and develop applications combining both platforms. Nevertheless, as I mentioned, I haven't heard of anyone trying to do this, so you basically have to try. If you decide to do so, I invite you to post your results in the community. They may help other makers that might be interested in creating projects similar to yours.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Edison works with Nest?
            speck95051

Hi Peter

• 3. Re: Edison works with Nest?
              speck95051

peter this  is the architecture. is it what you thought?

more details of the Nest architecture is hereNEST architecture_Page_1.jpgNEST architecture_Page_2.jpg

• 4. Re: Edison works with Nest?
                Intel_Peter

As I mentioned, I believe it is possible to work with Nest's platform; however I have never heard of anyone trying it. So what I mean is that you will have to basically learn from scratch, my suggestion for you would be to learn as much as possible about the Nest's API and how to work with it. This may prove difficult, nevertheless it would be interesting to see the results.

Peter.