1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 7:39 PM by KentK

Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue

Beppe@75

Windows 8.1 64bit PRO updated to Windows 10 PRO - Intel Rapid Start Technology 3.0.0.1053_WHQL

I see this irstrtsv error in the Event Viewer.

id event 0

The description for Event ID 0 from source irstrtsv cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer, or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

irstrtsv
      "Error: Unable to read LBA sector directly. : The parameter is incorrect."

I do not see a performance issue due to the error.

This irstrtsv error occurs when the system starts, there is a cluster of 5 errors repeats every 5 minutes with another cluster of 5 irstrtsv errors and continues until I shut it down.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall intel rapid start software but always with the same result.

Mainboard: Asus Z87 deluxe

IRST driver installed: intel rst 14.5.2.1088 WHQL

IRS  driver installed:  intel Rapid Start Technology 3.0.0.1053_WHQL

bios mode: RAID

HDD: 2 SSD + 3 HDD (2TB) RAID 5

• 1. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
          dar1ritch

I am Also having the same issue with my dell xps13

• 2. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
            Cleber Baldan junior

I think the Rapid Start Technology software version 3.0.0.1053 is not compatible with Windows 10.

I hope Intel staff may tell us if they intend to release a new compatible version.

They already release a new version of the Smart Response Technology for W10.

• 3. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
              Beppe@75

Intel should release a version to fix the problem

• 4. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                Bofu

I am having the same problem, after I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

But it seems not an exclusive problem for Windows 10 -- I saw some posts reporting the same issue on Windows 8.1 PCs.

The biggest consequence of this issue is that Intel Rapid Start Technology is not functioning at all -- although its system tray icon is still there and reports itself as turned on. I can see the "Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Service" is stopped. If I restart that service manually, it terminates within 5 seconds, leaving one error in the Event Viewer (under "System"): "Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology Service service terminated unexpectedly", and another error under "application" saying "Unable to read LBA sector directly. : The parameter is incorrect."

Therefore when my computer enters into sleep mode (S3), it cannot have its memory copied into the SSD and shift to S4.

Hope Intel technicians could take a look at this issue and provide a solution.

Model: HP Envy 17 j106tx
                Memory: 8GB + 8GB
                HDD: 24GB SSD + (1TB HDD)x2
                intel Rapid Start Technology Driver Version: 3.0.0.1053_WHQL
                System: Windows 10 (64 bit)

• 5. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                  USIKPA

Have you been able to resolve the issue? I happen to have the same error

• 6. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                    Beppe@75

still nothing, are waiting for the release of new drivers

• 7. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                      Cleber Baldan junior

I'm using Windows 10 and Intel Smart Response (not Rapid Start), with the IRST version 14.6.0.1029 - W10 compatible (Intel® Download Center).

Let me tell you, it's quite fast.

Windows 10 boot received many improvements, and seems like IRST is able to take advantage of them.

I made a clean W10 install and got Smart Response to use all the 24 GB SSD my ultrabook has.

The performance is very decent. Honestly, I don't even feel the need for Rapid Start.

The last update Rapid Start had was in 2013 (Intel® Download Center), I'm pretty sure Intel won't be updating this technology anymore and it's probably retired already - they just didn't anounce.

I doubt there had been notebooks released in 2014/2015 with Rapid Start as a feature.

SSDs became fairly accessible and are much faster, without the added complexity of this software.

In all, give a try on W10 with Smart Response.

• 8. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                        Beppe@75

"Intel Rapid Start" and "Intel Smart Response" are two very different technologies.

the first allows you to resume the execution of windows very quickly from the S4 sleep state, the second only speeds up access to mechanical disk

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/responsiveness-technologies.html

From Off to On in a Flash

With Intel® Rapid Start Technology, your PC can go from being in a very deep sleep to fully awake in a flash. This responsiveness capability enables your device to consume lower levels of power5 when you are not using it, yet resume quickly when you want to use it. You save time, and, if you are using an Ultrabook™ device, this technology also extends the battery life. If you have an all-in-one, it allows the system to consume less power5. Either way, you can start up quickly and get right back to where you left off.

Intel® Rapid Start Technology is available on Ultrabook™ devices, all-in-ones, and standard PCs powered by the latest generation Intel® Core™ processor family.

Fast Performance. Large Storage

Intel® Smart Response Technology gives you the larger storage capacity of a traditional hard drive without sacrificing speed, delivering up to 2x faster performance1,7 and up to 2x faster game launches—all while consuming less power. This feature recognizes and automatically stores your most frequently used applications, games, and files, so you can access then promptly and create, work, and game faster than ever before.

Intel® Smart Response Technology is available on Ultrabook™ devices, all-in-ones, and standard PCs powered by the latest generation Intel® Core™ processor family and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.5 or higher.

• 9. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                          joe_intel

Windows* 10 is not supported for Intel® Rapid Start Technology as many of you have stated. I am linking the user guides in case they are needed.

Intel® 7 Series Chipset Boards — Intel® Rapid Start Technology User Guides

• 10. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                            USIKPA

That it is NOT supported was obvious from the first look into the event viewer. That is NOT an issue. (In all likelihood, the user guides date back to the Windows 8 times). The issue is if it WILL BE supported and why it is taking Intel SO LONG to either update the driver or STATE that its support of this particular technology has been terminated!

PS. Just off the phone with Intel live support staff. The response was: " there is no official information but it is presumed that, given the vast advances in availability of inexpensive and high capacity SSDs, the technology is no longer required."  

• 11. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                              shimsim

I actually just did a clean win10 install on my Dell XPS 9530, and using the 2013 rapid start software, got it working without any noticeable issues. The latest BIOS for my XPS was just released post Win10 release, and it still contains the option to enable rapid start, but I am still not sure if there is any benefit to having IRST and why it has not been updated.

Posted a more direct questing on this both on Intel and Dell forums, but so far nobody has any clear information on this.

Would really be helpful to know if IRST with worth enabling on Win10, if not I can recover 16GB of space on the dedicated IRST partition.

• 12. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                                ChrisGNV

This is less of a problem than it might seem. I have an HP Envy dv6t for which rapid start stopped working when I upgraded to Win 10. However, the same functionality exists in Win 10, and it works well.

To make this work you have to disable Intel Rapid Start, temporarily disable acceleration in Intel Rapid Storage Technology, delete the hidden partition used by the hiberfil on the small SSD disk, then re-enable acceleration in Rapid Storage Technology. The result is that Rapid Storage Technology extends its cache to use the entire SSD, rather than reserve some for the hiberfil.

Deleting the hidden partition requires use of Manage, found by right-clicking This PC. From there, select Disk Management in the Storage folder. Highlight the 8GB (or so) partition on the small SSD. That should leave the drive with no partitions.

All of the above requires a few restarts. You might have to revise the sequence of events to get Rapid Storage Technology acceleration to take over the whole drive, but that's the point of the exercise.

When all of the above is done, go to Settings> System> Power & Sleep> Additional Power Settings> Choose what the power button does. Scroll down to the bottom. Turn on Fast Startup should be checked. If not, check it. If you can't, select the option to change settings that are currently unavailable.

When complete, shut down. Don't use restart because Fast Startup only works for actual shutdown, not restart. After it's shut down, start it back up. At that point you should see a noticeable improvement. Basically, Microsoft used Intel's idea and replaced shut down with hibernate. Since Intel's rapid storage driver shifts certain stuff to the SSD cache, the hiberfil apparently goes there.

After a couple of shutdown/startup cycles, my Envy is back to usable status after login in about 30 seconds from the moment I click the power button. I replaced Hibernate with Shutdown in all power settings. If I close the lid it goes into "shutdown" mode but fast startup hijacks that and changes it to hibernate. It works well.

I did a complete reinstall, after which the SSD doesn't even show up in Disk Management. I don't know if it goes away by deleting the hidden partition after an upgrade, rather than reinstall, but the result should be the same. It won't show up in File Explorer because there's no drive letter.

• 13. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                                  Beppe@75

The difference between win 8/8.1/10 start method after shutdown and Intel 's rapid start is that the latter does not start at boot the post bios so the boot is faster than almost 10 seconds in the desktop PC without UEFI boot !

• 14. Re: Windows 10 - Intel Rapid Start Technology Issue
                                    shimsim

Great, thanks for the detailed explanation. I will probably so a fresh/clean install and remove the dedicated IRST partition, then follow your steps for enabling fast startup.

One thing, does shutdown mode mean that all open apps get shut, if yes, the function is different from what IRST does, its more of a hibernate mode than fast start.

1 2 Previous Next