8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 12:17 AM by Cesar Badilla

6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?

NinjaNife

I'm trying to find out if 6-disk RAID-10 is supported by the Z87 chipset (or whatever controls the RAID options) with RST.  I've found topics on these forums with users saying it is supported, that it isn't supported, or that they don't know.  Unfortunately, I haven't found an answer in any recent topics; most topics I've been able to find are 4-5 years old.  Since the chipsets have changed several times (once again, I'm assuming that the chipset is what controls the RAID options) and RST has been updated since those topics were posted, I'm hoping that somebody can help me understand why I'm unable to create a 6-disk RAID-10 array when I have 6 Intel-powered RAID ports on my motherboard (ASUS Maximus VI Gene).  I have successfully created a 6-disk RAID-5 array, but whenever I try to create a 6-disk RAID-10 array the "Create" button is not clickable.

Does anyone have any ideas that might clear this up?  Thanks for the help.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

• 1. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
          mikec_intel

According to your motherboard manufacturer, ASUS Maximus VI Gene supports the following with the 6X SATA ports (red): Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Please review motherboard specs:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_GENE/specifications/

Try again using the red SATA ports and install the latest BIOS, Chipset and SATA drivers.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_GENE/HelpDesk_Download/

Mike C

• 2. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
            NinjaNife

mikec_intel,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, the limitation is not in the ports I'm using...as I mentioned in my original post, I have successfully made a 6-disk RAID-5 array (using the six RAID-capable ports on my motherboard).  Intel's Rapid Storage Technology application and/or the Intel RAID chipset seems to be the limiting factor here, at least as far as I can tell.  Both the BIOS section for Intel RST and the Windows RST application do not allow a 6-disk RAID-10 array to be created, and that is the problem I am attempting to resolve.  It's possible that it's a manufacturer-specific problem, but in all of my online research, everything points to Intel either allowing or disallowing it in the new versions of RST.  So basically, do you know if Intel supports 6-disk RAID-10 with whatever SATA controller is used in LGA 1150/Z87, or if there is a limitation to only four disks?

Thanks for your help.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

• 3. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
              Cesar Badilla

Hello NinjaNife,

The Number of drives supported depends on different factors such as:

1. Disk technology. SATA tolerates smaller arrays than SAS/FC does.

2. RAID Controller processor.

3. RAID Controller.

4. Bus bandwidth.

5. Etcetera.

A RAID 10 array uses four hard drives to create a combination of RAID levels 0 and 1.

It is a striped set whose members are each a mirrored set.

In this particular case you may need to use Matrix RAID which allows you to create two RAID volumes on a single RAID array by using the RAID migration feature  which enables a properly configured PC, known as a RAID-Ready system, to be converted into a high-performance RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, or RAID 10

configuration by adding one or more Serial ATA hard drives to the system and invoking the RAID migration process from within Windows.

The following RAID migrations are supported:

• RAID-Ready to 2,3,4,5 or 6-drive RAID 0.

• RAID-Ready to 2-drive RAID 1.

• RAID-Ready to 3,4,5 or 6-drive RAID 5.

• RAID-Ready to 4-drive RAID 10.

The migrations do not require re-installation of the operating system. All applications and data remain intact.

You may get relevant information here http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/8_x_raid_ahci_users_manual.pdfhttp://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm and Re: 6-drive RAID 10, FIS PMP?

Note: All migrations may not be available as each migration is supported on specific platform configurations.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 4. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
                NinjaNife

Thanks for the response.  However, I'm not sure if you understood my question.. I am trying to create a 6-disk RAID-10 array, not a 4-disk array.  The migrations are interesting, but none of those options explain how to migrate to 6-disk RAID-10 or why it doesn't seem to be supported by the Intel raid controller.  You mentioned that RAID-10 uses 4 disks in a striped an mirrored set, but that is simply the minimum number of disks required; RAID-10 arrays can be created using any even number of disks (of 4 or greater), unless limited by hardware.  The question here is why the Intel raid controller isn't allowing RAID-10 arrays with more than 4 disks, even though the specs I have found don't specify anywhere that it is actually limited to 4 (it just gives a single creation example using 4 disks).  If this is incorrect, please let me know, but that's what I've understood from all of the documents I managed to find.

Thanks for your help, and have a great day.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

• 5. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
                  JFFulcrum

On system with Z68 RAID-10 also was possible only with 4 drives. Intel limits RAID configs to promote its workstation/server systems.

• 6. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
                    Cesar Badilla

Hello NinjaNife

Intel® has tested and validated RAID 10 using 4 drives. If you need RAID 10 on 6 drives you will need a hardware RAID Controller.

You may get more information here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/intel-raid-controllers.html

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 7. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
                      NinjaNife

Ah, alright, thanks.  I still wish that they had documented it somewhere (that was easy to find) and clearly stated that they only support 4-disk RAID-10 rather than simply saying "RAID-10 is supported" and then giving a setup example using four drives, but I guess that's as close as I will get haha.  I'll just have to start looking for a 6-8 port SATA RAID controller...yet another task to complete lol.

Thanks for your help, and have a great day.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

• 8. Re: 6-Disk RAID-10 using Z87 Chipset?
                        Cesar Badilla

Thank you for your patience and understanding on this particular situation.

Regards,

Caesar B.