5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 3:40 PM by Young_23

Intel WIFI Driver Compilation

henry1966

I am working on a project that involves modifying and compiling the edison WIFI driver found on github:

01org/edison-bcm43340 · GitHub

This module comes with no information on how I should compile it however, and running make with the KERNEL_DIR set to the kernel source directory results in a module that can be loaded in but doesn't allow the wifi to be turned on.

Does anyone know how to build this module so it actually works on the edison?

Thanks

Henry

• 1. Re: Intel WIFI Driver Compilation
          PabloM_Intel

Hi henry1966,

It is possible that you still need to enable the module after the compilation. Could you please share some more information about your project? Are you following a guide or document to accomplish this?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Intel WIFI Driver Compilation
            henry1966

The project is one of my own creation and does not follow a guide or a document. The project essentially involves modifying the driver above's interrupt handler to instantly respond to packets without passing information up the network stack.

However at the moment I have not modified the driver in any way save for the make file so that the KDIR pointed to the directory for the kernel header (I am cross compiling the module from ubuntu).

If i then rmmod the default bcm4334x module and insmod the .ko file I have compiled the module is loaded in. However if I then issue the ifconfig wlan0 up command the module can't turn on and gives me a 'SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted'  error. If I then view the dmesg output of the kernel module I seem to have errors indicating 'wifi_get_mac_addr_intel: unable to open /config/wifi/mac.txt' and 'firmware path not found' which then leads to the driver trying to register its MAC address as 00:00:00:00:00:00

What I am trying to find is what configuration and things I need to change in the module so that it can be compiled and loaded so it works

Thanks

Henry

• 3. Re: Intel WIFI Driver Compilation
              PabloM_Intel

Hi henry1966,

Could you please tell us which steps did you follow to build the module? Regarding the BCM43340 driver, Broadcom Corporation developed and provided this driver so that it could be used with the Edison. So I would also suggest you to contact their Customer Support, http://community.broadcom.com/welcome.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 4. Re: Intel WIFI Driver Compilation
                henry1966

Hi again.

I managed to get the module to build and be loadable in my Edison's Kernel by hardcoding the path to the firmware and MAC address in the code

Thanks

Henry

• 5. Re: Intel WIFI Driver Compilation
                  Young_23

Hi henry,

Can you tell me how to hardcoding the path to the firmware and MAC address? I have the same problem.

Thank you very much

Young