11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2015 8:54 AM by WIKLOETZ

Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10

WIKLOETZ

Hello,

Using a Intel Mainboard DH87RL the Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10.

With Windows 8.1 there were no Problems at all.

The official Intel download site has no provisions for Windows 10 and IDU.

Who can help?

I tried the compatability mode without any success.

• 1. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
          paramountain

The free version of Speccy from Piriform offers more information.

Don't forget that you only have 30 days to decide if you want to keep W-10.

• 2. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
            N.Scott.Pearson

By "not working", what do you mean? Is it installing correctly but not running after the reboot or is the install itself failing? If the former, please describe what it does and doesn't do.

Yes, as paramountain indicated, there are a lot of third-party tools that can provide this type of information but, when it comes to sensor hardware, few of them understand the boards well enough to present the sensors properly. That is, they may understand the chip that is providing the sensor hardware, but not how the sensors in this chip are actually used on/by a particular board. While I was with Intel (I am retired now), I owned IDU and I also provided support to a few of the third-party tool developers so that their applications would be able to understand exactly how the various Intel Desktop Boards use the hardware sensors. The one with the best level of support (my personal opinion) is AIDA64. Second to that is Alfredo's SpeedFan application (though I am unsure whether he finished the support for the 8 Series boards). Other than those two, every other application that I have looked at (and I have looked at dozens of them) screws up the handling of the sensors in some way or another.

...Scott

• 3. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
              WIKLOETZ

Here is my answer to your question: When starting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Desktop Utilities\intelmain.exe" Version 3.2.8.089

the  following screen will open but nothing else will happen.

In contrast the same PC running with Windows 8.1 showed all the detail information like temperatures or voltage values for the various components.

IDU_V3.2.8.089.JPG

• 4. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                N.Scott.Pearson

I sent you a private message with some diagnostic commands I need you to do.

...S

• 5. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                  WIKLOETZ

Hello Scott,

I am grateful that you are helping me.

Here is the logfile you were requiring:   FSCAppServ.log

How can I transmit the logfile to you?

The editor in the Intel community allows only the sending of pictures and videos but no text file.

Also I am sending you two messages which were shown during the run of FSCAppServ.exe -Q

Good luck for troublshooting

Winfried

Here are a few lines from the original logfile:

07/31/15 09:50:41 INFO  Service Loading; Version = 1.2.4.47

07/31/15 09:50:51 INFO  Service Running

07/31/15 11:58:39 INFO  Service Suspended

07/31/15 12:30:51 INFO  Service Running

07/31/15 12:36:05 INFO  Service Terminated

Above was executed under Windows 8.1

Below under Windows 10:

07/31/15 12:49:11 INFO  Service Loading; Version = 1.2.4.47

07/31/15 12:49:32 ERROR Exception -1073741819 (Access Violation) has occurred at location 00405DBF

07/31/15 12:49:32 ERROR Service Aborted

07/31/15 13:36:00 INFO  Service Loading; Version = 1.2.4.47

07/31/15 13:36:20 ERROR Exception -1073741819 (Access Violation) has occurred at location 00405DBF

07/31/15 13:36:20 ERROR Service Aborted

07/31/15 14:13:47 INFO  Service Loading; Version = 1.2.4.47

07/31/15 14:14:07 ERROR Exception -1073741819 (Access Violation) has occurred at location 00405DBF

07/31/15 14:14:07 ERROR Service Aborted

IDU_error_message1.png

IDU_error_message2.png

• 6. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                    N.Scott.Pearson

OK thanks, this is the info that I needed (but not what I was expecting ). I will need to figure out what MS could have changed to cause this (sigh)...

....S

• 7. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                      paramountain

@N.Scott.Pearson

The reasons I suggested Speccy are:
                      - I have used it (and CCleaner, also from Piriform) without ever having a problem.
                      - I used IDU when I first started building PCs, but I noticed that sometimes the desktop icon for it would get funky. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it to unfunkify the icon. And what I mean by "funky" is that it would look like the icon graphics had been tampered with and double-clicking on it would not start IDU. I have no idea what caused it, other than vague notions of system changes. These experiences were on DH67 boards, maybe 4-series too, on XP, Vista, and 7
                      - Some Intel utilities do not uninstall cleanly, with XTU being the best example.

I will freely admit that Speccy temperatures are not the same as the ones obtained directly from the sensor (Speccy always seem to be a few degrees lower), but the funkification of the icon really got on my nerves. I'm probably stepping on your puppy, unintentionally so.

Also, if IDU problems were restricted to certain chipsets, e.g. DH67, I'd love to know so I could trust it again on later chipsets.

@WIKLOETZ

Don't let Microsoft kid you, 10 is as different code-wise as 8 was from 7. Lots of software that ran under 7/8/8.1 won't run under 10. Look at Microsoft's forums and you will see lots of problems.

• 8. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                        WIKLOETZ

Hello,

in the meantime I tried the following (as suggested in the answer 15 on Feb.12, 2014 in a similar case (upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.1):

1. Deinstalling IDU 3.2.8.089

2. Running the setup.exe file in the SMBus subfolder (this will run the SMBus driver installer manually).

3. No restart after the end of the installation routine

4. Running setup.exe in the folder IDU_3.2.8.089

5. Restart of the PC

and now after the start of the system the Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8.089 are working under Windows 10 !!!!

Temperatures, voltages and fan speed can be traced.

My conclusion: Intel should provide a new version for windows 10 without the splitting of the installation routines manually

Winfried

• 9. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Winfried,

You are absolutely right. When you upgrade to Windows 10, as occurred when folks upgraded to Windows 8.1, the upgrade engine removes any drivers that are not in its trust database. Alas, because of its age, the SMBus driver falls into this category. Thus, after performing a Windows upgrade, you definitely need to uninstall and then reinstall Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU).

Now, here's the thing that has me puzzled: If you had uninstalled and then reinstalled IDU, you should have been OK. The SMBus driver installer is automatically invoked during the IDU install. You should not have to run this installer manually. Did you actually check whether, after performing an uninstall and reinstall, IDU was (then) working properly?

BTW, you are also right about another thing: the SMBus installer incorrectly always tells the invoking installer that a reboot is necessary before the driver will work properly. A reboot is actually not necessary; the issue in the driver that required this reboot was fixed but the installer itself was not touched and thus continues to say that a reboot is necessary. The installer for IDU thus asks for a reboot to be performed and IDU will not actually start running until after this occurs -- or the smart person, knowing this, double clicks on the IDU icon and starts it running immediately.

OK, we need to burst a few bubbles. Before I do, something about me:

I am a former Intel employee. This past January, after 35 years (21 with Intel) working as a software engineer, I retired. I am, as they say, enjoying the good life. Being in this position allows me to state my own opinions, but, like all current and former employees of Intel, I am bound by a nondisclosure agreement with Intel and thus there are things that I cannot reveal. At varying times, as a software developer, as a software architect, as a development lead and even as a development manager, I was involved in the design and implementation of various hardware and value-add software products for Intel. My primary focus was system thermals and acoustics for desktop systems and included the development of related technologies and software. I was, for example, the owner for Intel Quiet System Technology (QST), an environmental monitoring and fan speed control capability that was built into a number of chipset generations (Series 3 through Series 6). As well, as part of the Intel Desktop Boards organization, I was involved in the development of industry specifications for other environmental monitoring and fan speed control hardware, the selection of the hardware solution used on particular Desktop Board products, and the development of software (including BIOS) to initialize, monitor and control this hardware. This included (amongst other things) the Intel Active Monitor (IAM) application and its successor, Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU).

About those bubbles:

• As you all know, Intel has exited the Desktop Board business. They are no longer designing or manufacturing desktop motherboards for sale. For existing Desktop Board products, Intel will provide support while they remain within their warranty period. What this means is that Intel will fix any BIOS issues that are uncovered. What it doesn't mean is that Intel will commit to making any enhancements to these products. This is why there is no support for the Haswell Refresh processors in the BIOSs for the 8 Series boards -- nor will there be in any subsequent BIOS releases delivered. Only bug fixes will be forthcoming.

• Software applications, such as Intel Desktop Utilities, were provided to enhance Intel's Desktop Board products. They were not themselves products. No one ever paid Intel for these applications and no promises were ever made to continue to support them. They were all end-of-life'd when Intel exited the Desktop Board business. Since that point, I have provided some support for these products - and released a number of fixes - working mostly in my spare time (i.e. evenings and weekends). Now that I am retired, there is no one left to work on this software. All of the other folks involved have moved on to other technologies and products within Intel. Moving forward, as something to do for fun, I may attempt to fix issues that are identified in this software, but it is unclear whether Intel will formally ship any fixes that I produce.

For this particular issue, a workaround has been identified. I will look into why my code does not gracefully handle the driver being missing, but nothing will be done to fix the core problem. There will not be a new version of IDU for Windows 10. Uninstalling and reinstalling IDU - and perhaps the manual run of the SMBus driver installer - will be required after performing a Windows upgrade. Everyone take note.

What else can I say?

...Scott

• 10. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Paramountain,

The issue with the tray icon was addressed some number of years ago. It was caused by a bug in the Delphi runtime library. Once the library was fixed, the application was fixed.

While it was not warranted to do so, the latest version of IDU can be used with most any Intel Desktop Board product all the way back through the Series 3 boards. It works with Intel Desktop Board products utilizing the chipset QST technology, Intel Desktop Board products utilizing various implementations of the Heceta ASIC and Intel Desktop Board products utilizing Super I/O (SIO) devices for monitoring and fan speed control. It even works with some of the NUC products.

...S

• 11. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8 are not working under Windows 10
                              WIKLOETZ

Hello Scott,

thank you for the extensive elaborationon of the Intel support topic.

Regarding your question I uninstalled and reinstalled the IDU 3.2.8.089 several times but the result was always the same:

the program started with the screen shown in response 3 (little dots circling around) but nothing else happened.

So I am glad now that the IDU is working fine after the separate  start of the SMbus driver ahead of the IDU.

Winfried