14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 5:09 PM by Cesar Badilla

Smart Response Technology in Windows 10

mrmilli

My machine (i5 4460 - H97 motherboard) doesn't show the acceleration option in Windows 10 RTM.

I'm using the latest RST 14.5 drivers.

I've read somewhere that Intel doesn't (yet) support SRT in Windows 10. Is that true?

When is Intel planning to implement this feature in their Windows 10 drivers?

• 1. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
          rutra80

I'm on Windows 8.1 with two Raptors in RAID0, lately I borrowed an SSD, installed RST 14.5 and lack the acceleration option too. Maybe that version of RST is botched?

• 2. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
            Cesar Badilla

Hello    ,

Please try these drivers and let me know the results Intel® Download Center

Additionally, take into consideration that the Hard drives you have on your current installation need to be RAID ready. This means they need to be attached to the Intel® SATA interface and in RAID mode in the BIOS.

Also the HDD/SDD that is going to be used for acceleration needs to be set up as an "un-allocated"  partition.

This is going to enable the Acceleration Option.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 3. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
              rutra80

Still no go here.

Intel claims that SRT doesn't support my Haswell based Celeron - I need i3, i5, or i7 for SRT to work...

BTW, I lately upgraded to Windows 10.

• 4. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                kevin_intel

Can you tell us what is the computer model you have? Is this a laptop system or desktop computer? Please attach here the system information report.

Kevin M

• 5. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                  rutra80

It's a custom desktop based on AsRock Z87 Extreme3 motherboard.

• 6. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                    kevin_intel

Thank you for providing me the system information report. Based on the SRT requirements, it is necessary to have an Intel Core processor to have the feature eneabled so this can be the cause of the problem.

Here you can check the requirements for this technology:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/smart-response-technology-brief.html

I am sorry to give you bad news.

Kevin M

• 7. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                      Ramazan

Hello Kevin! I have the same problem on my PC. Help me please(

AsRock x79 extreme9

Core i7 3820

16 GB 1600Mhz RAM

Seagate ST3320418AS (320 GB. Connected to x79 SATA2 port. GPT. System disk with only Windows 10)
                      Plextor PX-64M5S (60 GB. Connected to x79 SATA3 port. GPT. Empty without any partition. Want to use it for SRT with Seagate 320GB)
                      2x Seagate ST2000DM001 (2 TB. Connected to Marvell SE9172 will use it for RAID0 soon)

AMD Radeon HD 7870

in UEFI x79 controller turned to RAID - RST mode (not RSTe)

Windows 10 latest update.

Intel Rapid 14.8.0.1042

But I cant any find SRT buttons( I follow this instructions World's 1st X79 MB supports Intel Smart Response & How to install - YouTube)

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                        Cesar Badilla

Hello Ramazan,

Intel® Smart Response Technology enables users to access their most frequently accessed applications and files faster than a system with a hard disk drive alone. Intel Smart Response Technology is an ingredient of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and it enables a system to combine the performance of a small solid state drive (SSD) and capacity of a hard disk drive (HDD) to deliver a single high performance and large capacity storage solution.

Intel Smart Response Technology utilizes the SSD as a cache memory between the hard disk drive and system memory. This provides the advantage of having a hard disk drive (or a RAID volume) for maximum storage capacity while delivering an SSD-like overall system performance experience.

Please refer to https://downloadmirror.intel.com/22501/eng/Intel%20SRT%20Enterprise%20Deployment%20Guide%20Rev%202.0.pdf appendix on page 26.

You could get more information at Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 9. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                          Nij

Hi Cesar

Can you advise, how do I find out if my main SSD drive and second 2TB hard drive are RAID ready without opening up my pc, I bought my pc prebuilt and already had Intel® Smart Response Technology software installed, but I'm thinking if my drives aren't RAID ready I could prob stop the application from running at startup but not uninstall it as from what I've read, I still may need the drivers, I'm also running latest build of windows 10

Thanks

• 10. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                            Cesar Badilla

Hello Nij,

A "RAID Ready" system is a specific system configuration that allows a user to perform a RAID migration at a later date. For more information on RAID migrations, see RAID Migration. http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/8_x_raid_ahci_users_manual.pdf

The minimum System Requirements In order for a system to be considered “RAID Ready”, it must meet all of the following requirements:

• Contains a supported Intel chipset.

• Includes a single Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.

• RAID controller must be enabled in the BIOS.

• Motherboard BIOS must include the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager option ROM.

• Intel® Matrix Storage Manager must be loaded.

• A partition that does not take up the entire capacity of the hard drive (4-5MB of free space is sufficient)

RAID-Ready System Setup Steps.

1. Enable RAID in system BIOS using the steps listed in Enabling RAID in BIOS.

2. Install Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver using the steps listed in F6 Installation Steps.

3. Install Intel® Matrix Storage Manager using the steps listed in Installation Steps.

Please refer to http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/8_x_raid_ahci_users_manual.pdf for more information.

Note: The system must meet all the requirements listed in System Requirements.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                              Nij

Thanks

I don't think it's currently RAID configured, the only way I know how to check was through device manager, which didn't have anything about RAID, I'm guessing I don't really need the Intel rapid storage technology application running at startup then if I'm not using a RAID configuration?

• 12. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                                Cesar Badilla

Hello Nij,

Intel® Smart Response Technology is a feature of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) that enables either a dual drive—lower-cost, small-capacity SSD used in conjunction with a low-cost, high-capacity hard disk drive (HDD)—or a solid state hybrid drive (SSHD) to provide a high-performance, cost-effective storage solution.

For dual drive storage solutions, Intel Smart Response Technology recognizes and automatically stores your most frequently used applications and data into the SSD, while giving you full access to the large storage capacity of an HDD.

You can create, work, and play faster than ever before without paying more for a larger SSD to store your entire digital library.

SSHDs are a new type of HDD with a built-in high performance SSD. Intel Smart Response Technology boosts SSHD performance by informing the drive which data you use the most so it can store it into the built-in SSD.

Intel® Smart Response Technology caches data I/O blocks to the SSD that benefit the most from acceleration—for example, your most frequently used applications, games, and OS data. This feature differentiates between multi-use or high-value data—such as application, user, and boot data—and low-value data, such as data accessed by background tasks.

Low-value data does not typically offer any responsiveness benefits to you, and therefore is not inserted into the cache. This selectivity facilitates more efficient use of the available cache capacity and maintains optimum steady-state performance even across system shutdown and reboots.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 13. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                                  Nij

Thanks for all the help Cesar, that's very informative, in your opinion then, should I leave Intel rapid storage technology application running at startup even though I'm not using RAID

• 14. Re: Smart Response Technology in Windows 10
                                    Cesar Badilla

Hello Nij,

In this particular case although there is no RAID array in your system, in my opinion it is fine to leave the Intel®  Rapid Storage Technology application running at startup.

Regards

Caesar B_Intel.