4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 2:22 PM by allan_intel

Does upgrading the Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10 void the warranty?

snowywebb

According to correspondence received by a Compute Stick owner from Intel, attempting to update to Windows 10, voids the warranty.

Can someone clarify Intel's position with respect to this please?

• 1. Re: Does upgrading the Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10 void the warranty?
          snowywebb

Just to clarify what I'm on about, this is the reply from Intel Customer Support to 2 Compute Stick owners that have had difficulty upgrading to Windows 10.

An 'official' response from Intel to clear this up would be good... especially with respect to this comment:

"installing another operating system  is not supported and voids the warranty"

Greetings from Intel® Customer Support! We are glad to be of service to

you! Thank you for contacting Intel® Customer Support, and giving us the

opportunity to be of service to you. We’re sorry about the trouble

you’re experiencing. Please allow me to assist you with this issue.

With the installation of Windows 10 on the Compute Stick it has damaged

or blow away the protected partition of the Compute Stick. I'm sorry to

tell you you that the back-up cannot be recovered or be fix anymore. We

would like to remind you that removing the pre-installed operating

system and as well as installing another operating system  is not

supported and voids the warranty. Where as the protected partitions have

been modified, doing so it is not covered by the limited warranty.

Was I able to address your concern? Please do not hesitate to contact us

again if you have other concern.

A separate email may be sent to you a few weeks from now for our online

survey. If you are satisfied with our support, please score items with

"Very Satisfied" and "Strongly Agree". We want to know your feedback so

we could make our services better.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Intel® Customer Support

Meric I.

• 2. Re: Does upgrading the Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10 void the warranty?
            AlanY

I have noted that Intel do have Windows 10 drivers for download.

• 3. Re: Does upgrading the Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10 void the warranty?
              FDidriksen

This is from Intels website: Introducing the Intel® Compute Stick

The Intel® Compute Stick. Small, Yet Surprisingly Powerful.

While the Intel® Compute Stick can fit in the palm of your hand, it's what we fit inside of it that is truly remarkable. A quad-core Intel® Atom™ processor and your choice of operating systems: Windows* 8.1 with Bing* (with a free upgrade to Windows® 10 after release) or Ubuntu* 14.04 LTS.

The Windows version includes 2 GB memory, 32 GB of on-board storage and comes with McAfee® Antivirus Plus for comprehensive protection from Trojans, viruses, spyware and more. The Ubuntu version has 1 GB memory and 8 GB of on-board storage. Both devices come with Wi-Fi* and Bluetooth* for connectivity, a USB port to connect peripherals and a micro SD card slot for additional storage.

I Wonder how we should interpret this. Will there be a official upgrade from Intel since upgrading ourselves will void the warranty??

• 4. Re: Does upgrading the Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10 void the warranty?
                allan_intel

I understand the Intel engineering team is working on an official statement about windows 10 upgrades and Compute Stick warranty.

I would recommend keep checking this post or check on Documents & Guides for the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC for any updates.

Allan.