6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 9:51 AM by philly4

Unknown device in device manager

philly4

I just did a fresh install of windows 10 pro 64 bit and after installing all available drivers from intel driver page for my NUC model (5i5RYK), I still have an unknown device.  The CIR driver wouldn't install so I thought that must be it, but the unknown device still shows up even when I disable the CIR in bios.  Anybody else seen this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Unknown device in device manager
          unimorpheus

Uninstall the device, it will probably reinstall as a USB device very briefly. If so make sure you have the latest USB driver and reinstall the USB driver.

• 2. Re: Unknown device in device manager
            philly4

When I do that, it disappears until I click "rescan for new hardware".  Where can I get the latest USB driver?  I've installed everything on the Intel Driver page for my computer.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Unknown device in device manager
              unimorpheus

Don't use the drivers in the roll-up file. They don't appear to be as recent as the individual drivers. Look for the latest(make note of the version numbers/dates). I think the USB driver may need more than one install pass to pickup all of the hardware. That was the case with my i7.

• 4. Re: Unknown device in device manager
                philly4

unimorpheus,

Can you please elaborate what you mean by the "roll-up file"?  I don't think I ever used the roll up file but I'm not exactly sure what that means.  I installed the drivers for Windows 10 here: Intel® Download Center

Also, this issue seems to be intermittent.  I did another clean install of Windows 10 and after installing the chipset drivers, I didn't have any unknown devices.  After running it for two days now, I just looked and it was back.  I re-booted and it was gone again even after "searching for new devices".  Could this be a hardware issue?  I noticed similar behavior in windows 8.1.

• 5. Re: Unknown device in device manager
                  mikec_intel

Hi philly4,

Please reply with the current BIOS version of your NUC. It is very important to install the latest Chipset and Me driver.

Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC

Intel® Download Center

Intel® ME 11: Management Engine Driver for Intel® NUC

Intel® Download Center

Mike C

• 6. Re: Unknown device in device manager
                    philly4

I am running BIOS 0348.  The issue is fixed now after doing another clean install of Windows 10.  The only thing I did differently when I reinstalled Windows 10 the second time is that I didn't allow the computer to connect to the internet to allow any automatic updates until after I had installed the chipset drivers and ME driver.  When I had the issue, Windows 10 had already automatically installed some updates including the graphics driver and audio driver before I had a chance to install the chipset and ME drivers because I was online.