Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4791 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Famaku,

Thank you for the post. We have received some feedback regarding the creation vlan and teaming in Windows 10, we are checking on this, for the meantime,

can you provide what is the brand and model of your system and when you said the latest driver, are you referring to the Intel PROSet software version 20.2 available from our downloadcente?

Please feel free to update me. Thank you.

rgds,

wb

FKurt
Novice

Hi wb,

Thank you for the prompt reply! My system is custom build and has the following components:

Yes, the Intel PROSet Software V20.2 you mention is exactly what's installed on the system. As Win10 has quiet a lot of flaws/bugs I'm somewhat inclined to believe the problem is on Microsofts end but it's always better to tackle an issue from two sides.

If you believe it helpful, I could also put an Intel I350-T4 in the system and see if that NIC works with teaming.

Thank you for your input!

Regards,

Famaku

----------

Edit:

Just tried the driver from ASRock's (Mainboard) page: it's a slightly newer version (v20.2.4001 instead of v20.2.3001) but otherwise "works" the same. No teaming that is.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Famaku,

Appreciate your information and we will further look into this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
DDaws
Beginner

Guys,

I have a very similar issue. Just upgraded to Windows 10 and installed PROSet v20.2 on a I350-T4. I am able to create the team but then shows up disabled and when going into the team properties to create the required VLANs, all options are greyed out. Tried every which way from network connection page, device manager etc. etc. but no joy. If I revert my OS back to Windows 8.1, my adapters and ANS work just fine. Connecting back into my network via LACP to a Cisco 2960 switch.

For now I am going back to my Win 8.1 build but would very much appreciate it when a suitable driver update is available.

Thanks,

Radlad

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Radlad,

Thank you for sharing the information. We are checking on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Famaku & all,

Further checking, this is a known issue with Windows* 10 and it is not an Intel driver issue. We are working with Microsoft* and Asrock* to resolve this issue. Thank you.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
FKurt
Novice

Hi wb,

thanks for the update! Seems my suspicions as for the culptrit were justified... this OS launch is the best ad campaign linux could ever hope for. On a side note: the I350-T4 didn't work either. Lukily my other boxes aren't on Win10.

Regards,

Famaku

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Famaku,

Thank you for your post. We'll keep you updated on our findings.

Sincerely,

Intel Customer Support

Sandy

0 Kudos
AToto
Beginner

Hey sandy,

i have the same issue with a different NICs. Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual/Quad Server Adapter im using these cards in 2 systems and i cant enable LACP/Static either. it could be an issue with upgrading from 8.1 to 10 instead of performing a clean install, but i dont have the time to do a fresh installation atm and i needed the systems up and running.

One is a HP Z210 Workstation and the other one is my desktop system running fairly new hardware ~2014-2015.

i was checking on your driverpage for updates but the windows10 section only has the information files on it and had no updated drivers yet. im sure you guys and girls at intel are being spammed with support requests atm but i wanted to add my experience with the cards i described to this to make sure its not just a single chip causing an issue.

0 Kudos
PAmar
Beginner

I have the same issue with the same drivers - but motherboard is gigabyte z87-oc-force - with latest BIOS 10b - worked fine in windows 8.1 and not in windows 10 - tried re-installing drivers - etc. Even in a brand new install of windows 10 - no luck in network teaming

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Zishy,

Thank you for sharing the info.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AAmat1
Beginner

How about an update on this issue. Letting it drop into a black-hole isn't "Intel like".

I've tried downloading and installing the 20.3 software that explicitly states the following, but it doesn't work

with continued failed to create new team errors. When I return to the Win 8.1 environment, everything works as it should.

Important Note: In order to create Intel® ANS teams and VLANs on Microsoft Windows® 10, you must install the Microsoft Cumulative update located here: Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081448 KB3081448.

Failure to install the update will result in teams and VLANs that do not pass traffic.

When can we expect a solution to this critical issue?

I

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi aga2015,

Thank you for the follow up, We are still checking and rest assure this is being attended to.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi aga2015,

Good day. We received feedback that creating Intel® ANS teams and VLANs on Microsoft* Windows* 10 is currently not supported. We expect that ANS will be supported on Microsoft* Windows* 10 client in a future release. In case you need teaming feature, you may try revert back to previous OS which can support the teaming. Apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
N_3
Beginner
"Important Note: In order to create Intel® ANS teams and VLANs on Microsoft Windows® 10, you must install the Microsoft Cumulative update located here: Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081448 KB3081448. Failure to install the update will result in teams and VLANs that do not pass traffic."

I note that this message above has now been removed from the download page - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 - and replaced with a new message :

Important Note: Creating Intel® ANS teams and VLANs on Microsoft* Windows* 10 is currently not supported. As a result, when created, teams and VLANs do not pass traffic. We expect that ANS will be supported on Microsoft* Windows* 10 client in a future release.

I have two systems running Intel I350 dual port cards.

The first system was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and once I had visited Windows update and checked for the presence of KB3081448, I installed the ProSet package and Teaming worked just fine.

The second system has just been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 more recently. Even though I have applied all Windows Updates, KB3081448 is not listed in the update history - and Teaming doesn't pass any traffic on this machine. I can create the Team with no issue, it just doesn't send or receive anything !

Hopefully a new driver pack appears soon...

0 Kudos
N_3
Beginner

Second time lucky - I've just rebooted and recreated the Team, and this time it's working fine !

Both machines are now Teaming successfully with their I350 dual port cards in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
AToto
Beginner

your adapters are supported currently. alot of others arent. thats why it worked with yours and it didnt work for the original poster and me

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Nomgle,

Thank you for shaing your test result. glad to know it works for you.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AAmat1
Beginner

Can someone explain in lucid terms how anything is working given the explicit Intel message (posted above) that states that Teaming isn't supported (yet) in Win 10 ?

Sorrywb_Intel, you haven't helped the situation with any type of clarity. How about we dispense with the mixed messages and determine what works and why.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
N_3
Beginner

Zishy, you said earlier in the thread you're using Pro 1000 PT cards.

The Windows 10 drivers - here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 - only support the models below. When Windows 10 first released, I also had some old Pro 1000 PT cards - but I replaced them with the I350 cards, because they aren't supported by Intel on Windows 10. I didn't even try Teaming on my 1000 PT cards...

The only adaptors supported on the Windows 10 driver download page are :

0 Kudos