Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

HP Spectre X360 and AC-7265 Wifi Adapter

JRead1
Beginner

I wish I hadn't purchased the HP Spectre X360 after experiencing the wifi issues this has come with. My most expensive laptop buy, I'm still paying off my credit card for it.

The laptop itself isn't bad but the wifi - surfing the internet and working from home being the key reason for the purchase - is terrible. I've had problems with this model (HP X360 13-4050NA) connecting to my home network and networks away from home since I got it. I should have returned it when I knew of the issue, but I thought a driver might resolve it. However, a search for the AC-7265 Intel wifi driver and the HP Spectre X360 finds plenty of others suffering.

I've spent hundreds of pounds on new routers, wifi adapters, powerlines, and hours and hours on new drivers and updates and research. Tinkering with settings, trying solutions on Intel and HP's site. Windows 10 just made it worse. How can Intel and HP let this carry on for over 6 months? The HP support line just wants me to return it for 2 weeks so they can replace it with *another* of the same adapter - which others report does nothing to help. I rely on this laptop for work.

I have no problems connecting via 5Ghz when I'm sat next to the router, but if I leave the room the issues begin. This is despite my Sky+, iPhone, iPad, printer, and other laptops connecting without fail. I can't connect to hotspots out and about because of it. If I connect to my phone through tethering that's all good - but it's far from practical.

This has been going on for months now with no solution. Twitter, Reddit, HP's forums and other websites are full of these reports. If this is meant to be HP's premium ultrabook solution I would have imagined a far better experience. It's left me very disappointed.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mil0l,

As you mentioned, since the adapter came bulit into your PC from factory, HP* would be the best source for support. It is advised to check with them for any new driver releases for your computer.

Here are some additional actions that may help improve wireless connectivity:

1. Download and installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25170/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10, version 18.12.0. It is recommended to uninstall any previous versions from HP or Intel before updating.

- Go to your System Settings, in the Installed apps and features, then Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

- In Device Manager - Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager again and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

- Install the driver 18.12.0 you downloaded before.

2. Apply the configuration from the Advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

3. Set your wireless power plan to Maximum Performance. This is done by going to the Windows* Power Options - Change plan settings - Advanced power settings, and set the Wireless adapter to Maximum Performance, when plugged in and on battery.

JRead1
Beginner
As you mentioned, since the adapter came bulit into your PC from factory, HP* would be the best source for support. It is advised to check with them for any new driver releases for your computer.

It seems neither HP, Intel, or PC World want to take some responsibility passing the buck between them all. It's little wonder so many have complained on HP's forum.

I already had 18.12.0 but I've tried removing it and following the above steps. It won't let me remove from the apps on Windows 10. I get this message:

0 Kudos