Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD4600 HDMI sound problem in Games at Win10

GUlus
Beginner

Hello;

Two days ago I upgraded my laptops windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. My hardware is

-Intel I7 4720hq

-Intel HD 4600(driver:15404)

-Nvidia GTX960M (driver353.62)

-8GB ram

Also I installed ME_Win10_1.5M_11.0.0.1158 dirver to my computer.

now i have a problem with sound probably because of Intel HD4600 driver. (I downloaded latest Nvidia, Intel HD 4600, Intel MEI drivers also I tried with old drivers which are belongs to win 8.1)

First of all I didn't experiencing that problem at Windows 8.1;

Usually I connect my laptop to tv(Samsung 40ES7000) via hdmi. When I connect to tv everything is working fine, Display and audio works fine but when I launch a game(I tried a few different games) sound stops working. When I quit the game audio is still not working and I'm checking it on youtube and the video plays slowly not fluently and there is no sound. I change my sound settings in Sound Mixer hdmi to speaker. Video fluent going to be normal the sounds starts to play on my laptop speakers I am changin setting again speaker to hdmi. The sound starts to play on my tv but when I try to launch a game the sounds are stop again. I tried to disable my nvidia card and try to launch a game again and there is still the same problem the sounds are gone. I tried to install old drivers which are belongs to Windows 8.1 but the intel driver install software didn't allowed to me. I hope my write is clear enough. Please fix this immediately on the next driver or Please suggest me some solution...

Thank You...

13 Replies
mkun1
Novice

pretty much same config, exactly the same problem

for me it happened after an update or upgrade as sound in games used to be fine in win10.

i did not play games for sometimes so I just realized it was broken now.

Did you find a fix ? can't find much about this bug on the web...

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Hello, I suggest to run windows update and make sure the pc is up to date, if with the updates still the behavior, install the driver from the link below. and let me know if this works.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

What is happening all drivers will be available from now on through windows update.

GUlus
Beginner

Hello, I always checking Windows and driver updates. Every thing is up to date. Just intel hd 4600driver for win 10 doesn't get new update yet. (Still I'm using 15.40.4.64.4256 and it's the only driver for Win10) I hope next hd4600 driver will fix it.

0 Kudos
mkun1
Novice

Hi Ricardo & thanks for answer;

I tried installing the driver you linked but no success.

Note that issue started to occur after an update & that sound through laptop is ok even after sound through hdmi crash and that i have to reboot to get back hdmi sound.

could it be an nvidia issue or is it the "sound intel(r) for external screen" (i think the previous driver had hdmi in its label how could i revert to find out ?)

thx in advance for assistance

best

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Please contact the laptop manufacture (OEM) to know if the external screen uses the NVDA or if uses the Intel®'s Graphics.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

I am also experience this problem when playing titanfall if the game is minimized when started sound will play from the TV attempting to change the audio settings causes the game to freeze

also the game uses the laptop monitor resolution instead of the TV resolution (the TV is set as the primary display so the driver is causing the wrong resolution to be reported to the game)

0 Kudos
DKohn
Beginner

I had the exact same thing. I updated the HD 4600 windows 10 64bit driver which shows up as driver 10.18.15.4256

BUT it also updates the Display Audio driver to 6.16.0.3179

This Display Audio driver is bad

I had to find an older windows 8 HD 4600 driver and downgrade the Display Audio driver to 6.16.0.3154 from 9/9/14. Anything newer and the audio doesn't work properly

0 Kudos
mkun1
Novice

I can confirm that darrink1 is correct; thanks a lot to him.

After uninstalling latest Display Audio driver & reinstalling the old one he recommended (downloaded from softpedia) through device manager sound in games through hdmi is now back.

Ricardo may I ask if there is an online bug tracker or how shall we know when this bug is fixed in a next release ? thx

CWest7
Beginner

My issue is very similar. I have an Asus N550jv (i7 HQ4700, Nvidia 750m, Intel HD 4600, 8gb ram) that was just updated from Windows 8.1 to 10.

The sound only cuts out when I start to play a game (say Minecraft, for example), which is nothing obscure and worked fine with Windows 8.1. As soon as I start it the sound cuts out and the volume bar no longer gives me a noise (until I restart the laptop).

I tried to uninstall the 3179 driver and replaced it with the 3154 driver, but the problem remains. I have also tried other, older drivers as well to no avail.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
mkun1
Novice

yes completely remove the intel driver for hdmi audio & let windows install its own driver for hdmi audio at the next restart.

(i'm not linux right now & don't remember the name of that ms driver)

still not perfect though soemtimes no hdmi sound at all. work around : i reset the audio output to the laptop before switching off to be sure hdmi audio will work on next start (after resetting to hdmi the audio output obviously).

0 Kudos
CWest7
Beginner

Hey, thanks for the reply!

@mikakun: I did try that a few times and had the same luck. Sometimes no sound, sometimes it worked until starting a videogame.

@ricardog_intel: That was my first time trying that driver. It did not show up when I tried to update from Device Manager or with Intel Driver Update Utility. Unfortunately, like the other drivers, the sound worked initially when I restarted the PC but ceased to work again after starting a game.

It's kind of frustrating because everything worked great when on Windows 8.1 before moving to 10. I do not know what drivers I had at that time that worked, but even with trying older Windows 8.1 drivers I still have the problem. Asus only has the Intel Graphics driver for Windows 8.1 and not 10 on their Asus N550jv page, but even when trying that Intel Display Audio driver I get this problem. Could I be missing something?

0 Kudos
mkun1
Novice

yeah you must have missed stg.

from device manager uninstall intel hdmi audio dirver

restart

windows shall install "high definition audio device"

you check in device manager.(version it puts on my system is 10.0.10240.16384 from 09/07/2015 ).

0 Kudos