Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

4790k: overheating problems

STum
Beginner

Hi all,

Recently I purchased a 4790k processor, but as soon as I start putting it under load with stress tests (AIDA64 Extreme, Prime95, or basically any demanding game) the CPU temperature skyrockets to 99+ degrees within 30 sec. In BIOS idle temperature is still at ca. 40 degrees, even with the case just fully open (although airflow through my case is quite good). Ambient temperature is 17 degrees. I am using different programs to monitor CPU temperature (HWinfo, Intel XTU, OpenHardwareMonitor) which all give the same (high) readings, so I don't think it's a software (CPU temp sensor) fault. I am using a Corsair H110 water cooling unit on the CPU (I double checked if it was correctly mounted on the CPU, incl. the backplate, and felt the cooling tubes as well, 1 was hot, 1 cold, so seems like no problem there). Re-applied thermal paste on the CPU last week, but still overheating issues now.

The motherboard I am using is an ASUS Z97-pro gamer (with BIOS updated to the latest version (version 2106, release date 28 May 2015)). Sapphire r9 290x GPU. 12 GB of ram, Win 7 64 bit. EVGA 1000W PSU.

Now I know that there are multiple discussions already on the 4790k overheating, and I have tried most, if not all, the suggested settings already (clearing CMOS, resetting BIOS to default, changing voltages, disabling turbo boost), but none of this works for me. Note that I do not wish to overclock my CPU. I want it to last long, with comfortable temperatures.

My question is: does anyone with a Z97-pro gamer motherboard and a 4790k CPU know of any solution to the 4790k overheating problem? Anyone knows if BIOS settings (either in XTU, or directly in BIOS) designed for other (similar) motherboards (other Z97's?) that I read about here on the forum can be applied to my setup (Asus z97-pro gamer, with 4790k)? If so, which motherboards would have same settings as mine?

I am looking for a solution to this overheating problem, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies