Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

WHEA-Logger Event ID 19, Corrected Machine Check

LNegu
Beginner

Found that this may be benign, according to , but since the details differ sometimes I want to ask to be sure.

Have a G3440 bought in spring which has apparently been given these warnings all along, though I only noticed it last week. Interestingly, they seem to pick up after Windows updates, as I see them get a burst after Patch Tuesday, lasting some 10 days. Last month I even had dozens per day during that time. Smaller bursts, averaging around 3 per day for a few days, after reboots due to installing/uninstalling/updating antivirus/firewall. Otherwise drops off to one every 1-2 days. But today I see 5 already, 3 within 2 hours this evening (did switch AV last night, been testing a few, so a few would be normal apparently, but this is a bit much already and day's not over).

Interesting, the time they happen at seems to indicate checks every minute or every X minutes after a reboot, as the seconds in the timestamp are either all equal or vary by +/- 1 for all such events between two reboots, at least as far as I can tell.

So the text is:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

Error Type: Internal parity error

Processor ID: 0

[NOTE: This is the most recent, Processor ID may be 2 as well. Never saw 1.]

The MciStat for the large majority is the 0x90000040000f0005 mentioned in the thread I linked to. However, I also see a few instances of 0xd00000c0000f0005, 0xd0000100000f0005 or 0xd0000080000f0005.

There have been no blue screens or system freezes (well, bar one caused by a software issue I had identified at the time) or automatic reboots or shutdowns. Also, CPU always at 100% (and SpeedStep disabled in BIOS, only thing left on is thermal throttling, though no need for that as it reports a max of 58C even during these hot summer days, cooler never hit 80% from what I saw) due to BOINC/SETI@home. For that reason, I'm also pretty sure there are no faulty calculations done either, as I haven't had a single computation error or actual invalid result over these months (was a falsely reported invalid due to 2 faulty GPUs reporting overflows and dismissing my result), and constantly running BOINC projects is probably as good a CPU test as any, and over a far longer amount of time than any dedicated testing. (Did notice one or two results reported as valid but with the other initial result being confirmed by the 3rd check, which happens if most parameters are identical but there's a small variation in up to a few. Quite a few cases where it was the other way around though, with my result being the confirmed one, and generally if this only happens occasionally it's considered normal either way.)

So, basically, are those rare different MciStats indicative of an actual problem or they still fall under the known issue that's to be dismissed? Because I'm trying to calm myself down here after seeing that, but rather freaking out regardless...

Oh, yes, should also note that I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and also 3 different RAM tests when I got the computer, mentioning this latter bit in case it may be a RAM issue reported as CPU issue due to the integrated memory controller. No issues reported.

Edit: Checked how often each of those other stats appears. This is of the total of 225 instances so far:

0xd0000080000f0005 = 20 times

0xd00000c0000f0005 = 6 times

0xd0000100000f0005 = 2 times

Message was edited by: Lucian-Robert Negut

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LNegu
Beginner

Nothing?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reset BIOS settings to default then, check if the processor is running at 3.3GHz. The memory controller of this processor supports RAM of DDR3 and DDR3L 1333/1600 at 1.5V. Memories with higher speed will over clock the processor.

If problem continues, please reply the following information:

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Mike C

0 Kudos
LNegu
Beginner

Yes, it's at 3.3 GHz and RAM is DDR3 @ 1600 MHz, 1.5V.

Here are the reports... though for some reason I'm uneasy about posting them like this here. Edit: Sent you a pm about the sysinfo one.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The system information file has a password; please resend the file without it. Let me know if you have a RAID configuration.

Please run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send me the summary of the test.

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (32-bit)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19791/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-32-bit- Intel® Download Center

MiKe C

0 Kudos
LNegu
Beginner

Like I was saying, check your PMs about the sysinfo.

No RAID.

And here are the IPDT results.

But you didn't answer the initial questions: According to documents referenced in other discussions, including the one I linked to, that error code I most frequently see is harmless and to be ignored. Can you confirm that? And, either way, what actually causes it? And are the other error codes I listed any different or just symptoms of the same thing, seeing as they also match the conditions for that supposedly harmless warning (bit 63 set, bit 61 not set, so first character being 8, 9, c or d, and bits 31:0 outputting 000f0005)?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend testing the CPU on a different mobo, if you are getting same results, the process definitely has to be replaced.

Please bear in mind the only way to test the cpu would be swapping the unit and the only software available that might fix something will be a bios update. If you already performed bios update. Contact Intel support to get new unit.

Use the link below:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

Mike C

0 Kudos
LNegu
Beginner

No way to do that myself, no other motherboard with this socket.

So you say that what those other threads and the documentation referenced in them (more specifically, HSD131 as listed in http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-specification-update.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-specificat… ) is false or otherwise not applicable and this indicates an actual issue, correct?

BIOS is 1.70, as I'm sure was listed somewhere in those reports. There apparently is a recently launched (this month) 1.80 though.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The error that you are referring is a detected issue by our engineer department. However, it will not damage your system. Intel is working on them now.

Mike C

0 Kudos