Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 4400 Graphics Won't Detect 3rd Monitor on DVI

SBren4
Beginner

Based on another thread I was reading this appears to be a common annoyance. About 4 months ago I built a new system with an ASUS B85 Vanguard motherboard and Intel I3 processor at its core. Originally I was just using an old Lenovo monitor I had, on VGA cable. A few weeks after that I installed a BenQ GW2255 monitor using a DP to VGA adapter to connect to the motherboard's DP port. No problems at all, and I've been using both monitors ever since.

Today I bought another BenQ GW2255 monitor to use as my 3rd screen, utilizing a new DVI cable, and I was expecting an easy install. Unfortunately the Intel driver refused to detect it.

Now if I uninstall the Intel Graphics driver the default Windows driver is able to use both the BenQ monitors, but not all three. And if I reinstall the Intel driver it picks it up perfectly. I can configure and use all three monitors as long as I don't power down the computer or let it sleep. If I do then the new monitor may blip the Windows logo briefly on startup, but then it turns off with a "No Signal" error. Tried getting Windows to auto-update the Intel driver but the same thing just happens again.

Now from reading the thread below, I found that if I disable/enable the driver in Device Manager it will restore functionality, but again only until the computer is restarted. It's a workaround but not one I want to live with for a few years.

Has there been any progress on these types of errors? I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit with driver version 10.18.14.4170 at the moment.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Have you tested driver version 4251?

This is available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25143/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit Intel® Download Center

Please let us know some feedback about 3rd monitor detection using driver 4251.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SBren4
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Just tried the 4251 driver. Same result. The monitor is detected for as long as the computer remains turned on. On restart the monitor is dead and I need to disable/enable the driver to re-detect it.

0 Kudos
SBren4
Beginner

The problem is even worse after upgrading to Windows 10.

The 3rd monitor still doesn't get recognized and the trick of disabling/enabliing the driver doesn't work anymore. When I try it the middle monitor starts flashing colors and I end up with only 1 out of 3 monitors functioning until I restart. After which I still only have 2 functioning.

I had to downgrade back to Windows 8.1 just to be able to work, but I'm not interested in keeping it that way. Intel needs to fix this.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Yes, thanks for the feedback about Windows 10 driver. I understand that the engineering team is working on new drivers for Intel® HD Graphics 4400 for Windows 10. They will be posted at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center as they become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

All:

This information is intended to all Windows 10 users that are experiencing issues with a supported Intel® Graphics Controller (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm supported graphics)

/message/321854# 321854 Re: -NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit 15.40.4.64.4256

See post # 93

Allan.

0 Kudos