3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 2:40 PM by CMata_Intel

reference: error in software serial

elwolv

for the camera using EMIC2 library and Serialsofrware library, solution given:

1- SerialSoftware.h  and .cpp copied installed in intel/arduino-1.6.4/libraries

example given when run it give

SoftwareSerialExampleGalileo2.ino:5:35: fatal error: SoftwareSerial_Class.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

Error compiling.

the file present? 

• 1. Re: reference: error in software serial
          CMata_Intel

Hi elwolv,

I suggest you to use the latest IDE version (1.6.5). There is a workaround for Galileo Gen2 you can use that is available in: Galileo/Arduino-Examples/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial_Gen2 at master · MakersTeam/Galileo · GitHub

You need to create a folder called SoftwareSerial in C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i586\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\SoftwareSerial. In the new folder you need to paste the SoftwareSerial.cpp and SoftwareSerial_Class.h files.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: reference: error in software serial
            elwolv

it

error:

SoftwareSerial.cpp:6:34: fatal error: SoftwareSerial_Class.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

Error compiling.

I tried 1.6.0. , 1.6.4,  1.6.5

placed .h/..cpp in libraries,

placed .h/..cpp in SerialSoftware directory in libraries,

placed .h/..cpp in C:\Users\...

I placed only one line include and setup (){} and that the line not compiling?

*Note:    the only package installed by itself 1.6.4 under C:\Intel\...

the others installed in place one in C:\ and one in D:\  and no progress?

Question:  why such discrepancy exists, in calling other libraries in the installations?

that has to do with getting compiler/linker to work

Q:  why the local library version of Arduino SerialSoftware not catching the include call, if the same name

and same functions calls used in uniform across the different versions?

Q:  does the speed 9600 correct?

Q:  why Arduino not interested in the fact we want to use their IDE on Galileo, instead of

the IoT development tools like in the EMIC2 camera and the WiFi connections?

Q:  does the recommendation would be to use hardware and we spend the time

to build Camera connections libraries, then why not shift to board that works directly withe the similar capability?

" Serial Port Options

1. HardwareSerial - Best performance. Always use this first, if available! Teensy and Teensy++

have one HardwareSerial port which is available (not used for uploading or the Arduino Serial Monitor).

1. AltSoftSerial - Can simultaneously transmit and receive. Minimal interference with simultaneous use of

HardwareSerial and other libraries. Consumes a 16 bit timer (and will not work with any libraries which need that timer)

and disables some PWM pins. Can be sensitive to interrupt usage by other libraries.

1. NewSoftSerial (SoftwareSerial in Arduino 1.0 & later) - Can have multiple instances on almost any pins,

but only 1 can be active at a time. Can not simultaneously transmit and receive.

Can interfere with other libraries or HardwareSerial if used at slower baud rates. Can be sensitive to interrupt usage by other libraries.

1. Old SoftwareSerial (SoftwareSerial in Arduino 0023 & earlier) - Very poor performance."

Q:  short of low level hardware building communication to work with camera at lot of time expense

we still have the same problem, we can not build a library reference to the .h and .cpp we build eventually

if we can not or do not know how to get it linked

Note many of users Linux experts or even knowledgeable!!!

• 3. Re: reference: error in software serial
              CMata_Intel

Hi elwolv,

You need to place the SoftwareSerial folder in C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i586\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\ inside this folder both files from

Galileo/Arduino-Examples/SoftwareSerial/  This was tested on the Arduino IDE 1.6.4 and 1.6.5.

I used this example for testing this example: Galileo/SoftwareSerial_GalileoGen2.ino at master

Are you selecting the Galileo Board before compiling? Also, did you have problems while installing the boards with the Boards Manager?

What do you mean with the packages installed in D:\? Are you using another device/disk?

A. The Arduino IDE is intended to be used with different boards, so the libraries are different and there are different places that the IDE looks for regarding the board selected before the compilation process.

A. The SerialSoftware library is not supported by the boards. You can see the available libraries for Galileo in C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i586\1.6.2+1.0\libraries\ The one we are trying to use is an older library for another IDE version.

A. The example was tested using 9600 as baud rate but you can try with other speeds like: 19200, 38400, 115200. Check the speeds in C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\i586\1.6.2+1.0\cores\arduino\TTYUART.cpp

A. There are improvements in the IDE constantly. Some of these improvements are related with Galileo and Edison and others for the Arduino boards. You can use different IDE's according to the project you are doing. The Arduino IDE, XDK and Eclipse have different approaches according of what you want to achieve.

A.There is another thread related to the EMIC2 I think it will give you more ideas. The Galileo board is very recent so there are a lot of projects and ideas that have not been developed yet.  You can create your own libraries.

A. In order to make your custom library to work, I suggest you to look into other libraries, this will give you an idea of how to build them. You must place the libraries in the right place as I mentioned before.

Regards,

Charlie