Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics driver causing disk thrashing

DNuke
Novice

Hello,

The Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver version 10.18.14.4170 is causing disk thrashing on my Lenovo W550s laptop. Every second, igdkmd32.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver) calls RegSetValue to write 1536 bytes to the registry subkey "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CLASS\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\OSGamma40F0400". This is causing Windows to write to the SYSTEM registry file on the hard disk roughly every 500ms, not letting the disk properly idle, and causing the disk to make very annoying seeking noises. I'm completely out of ideas as to how I could block the above operation from happening. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DNuke
Novice

Good news, I have identified the software interaction that was the cause of the repeated registry writes. The F.lux screen dimming utility was the cause. For those having the same issue as me, enabling "Safe mode" in the F.lux utility seems to have stopped the registry writes without adversely affecting the function of the utility. I will post updates if I notice any more issues regarding this software interaction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DNuke
Novice

Good news, I have identified the software interaction that was the cause of the repeated registry writes. The F.lux screen dimming utility was the cause. For those having the same issue as me, enabling "Safe mode" in the F.lux utility seems to have stopped the registry writes without adversely affecting the function of the utility. I will post updates if I notice any more issues regarding this software interaction.

0 Kudos