6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 12:35 PM by mikec_intel

NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time

brett_

I have a NUC5PPYN running Windows 8.1 64 bit, 8 GB of memory and a 120 GB Intel 320 series SSD. I am experiencing significantly long boot time, in excess of 15 seconds. I pulled the drive with Windows 8.1 installed from a DN2820FYKH, plopped it in the NUC5PPYN, deleted all the old hidden devices in the device manager and installed the new drivers. It works great once booted up without any hint of instability. Any ideas as to why it is taking forever to boot?

• 1. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
          dougho

I am not from Intel and do not have that model, but my DN2820FYKH seemed to delay longer than expected during boot showing prompt about Fn keys which can be pressed.  I went into Visual BIOS and made several changes and I think that delay during boot got shorter.  Not sure which change it was (or if I forgot some change) but I disabled Legacy USB, disabled Legacy boot, disabled boot from USB and optical, and enabled fast boot.  Maybe you can try similar on your NUC but realize that you'll have to use something like Power Button Menu or a Windows 8.1 Recover-Advanced Startup feature to get back into Visual BIOS after that.

• 2. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
            brett_

Good advice, but I have tried all of those steps. Initiating fast boot helps some, but it still sits on the splash screen for way too long compared to my other NUCs. I have 5.

• 3. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
              tmmoore800

Did you ever find the issue.  I have an older NUC model that an SSD is taking 45 seconds to boot.  When I installed the linux based on on the drive in a laptop the boot time was 8 seconds.  Moving the drive directly to the nuc without changes I did not expect that slow of a boot time.

• 4. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
                mikec_intel

Hi tmmoore800,

This thread is old now, let me know if you want to handle it as a new thread; I would create it for you.

In regards to your issue, verify if you are using the latest BIOS of the NUC. For further support, I would need to know which Linux flavor you are using and the type of BOOT (Legacy or UEFI).

Regards,

Mike C

• 5. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
                  tmmoore800

It would be great if you could move to another thread.  I am using Librelec for the OS and just updated the Bios to the latest.  I also reset CMOS, installed a different RAM, moved the SSD drive back to the laptop (8 second boot again on the laptop), put the drive back in the nuc and reinstalled Libreelec fresh. No difference.  Legacy is turned off. 

Side note it takes about the same time with or without fast-boot. With fast boot instead of getting the splash screen with the NUC logo and function key options I get a black screen for about the same duration. 

• 6. Re: NUC5PPYH Slow Boot Time
                    mikec_intel

Hi tmmoore800,

I suggest you continue your issue with the following thread:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/106400

It belongs to you.

Mike C