9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 5:56 AM by dougho

Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...

TrackedFred

Hi!

Windows 7 premium 64 went fine but I can't find a way to connect to my Wifi router neither through cable connection.

I went through my device manager and only Bluetooth adapter is listed.... I cannot see any WiFi 802.11ac listed anywhere.

Do I need to load drivers & updates for this NUC that can be download from another computer onto a USB drive then transferred through USB in my NUC.

I am lost & stuck here completely :^)

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
          trsqr

You have the answer already:

"Do I need to load drivers & updates for this NUC that can be download from another computer onto a USB drive then transferred through USB in my NUC."

Yes. Or load them with your smart phone and connect the phone to the PC with USB cable. Or use BlueTooth. You've got options.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
            TrackedFred

Thanks trsqr!

Yes I kind of guessed my trouble despite my ignorance in setting up computers.

Well... inexplicably I still use an Iphone 4 as far as smartphone (more like a senile smartphone these days when running the updated OS...).

Anyway I do have another laptop to copy on a USB so if I could have the right download page linked to me I would really appreciate.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Fred

• 3. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
              dougho

There should have been a folded orange sheet of paper in your NUC box which said at the bottom to go to downloadcenter.intel.com and select Boards&Kits-NUC kit, etc.  Intel® Download Center

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                TrackedFred

Thanks Dougho

I do have a full page as you can see https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+NUC+Kit+NUC5i5RYH

first time I do that.... so should I download them all on my USB stick?

but then what is the methodology to load all those drivers?

just clicking on each of their folder one after the other?

Sorry I am really not familiar and its 4am where I am now...

Beside that as a note I noticed that my NUC seems to run Windows 7 premium at light speed... I am surprised.

• 5. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                  dougho

Usually the first thing on that download page is to choose your OS such as Windows 7 64 bit at the top - it makes the list more relevant/smaller.

If the date of the driver "bundle" is recent you can download it then extract all and use various ones.  Or you can download individually (chipset, management, and whatever network you use - after you install those you should be able to download any remaining using the NUC itself).

Usually the sequence is something like chipset, then management, then network (whichever you are using first - wired or wireless - then the other one), then display, and CIR if you are using IR remote control within Windows.  Others are often less important, they may be installed by the OS.

• 6. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                    TrackedFred

Hello!

So I spent the day on it but my NUC & me have to agree that we survived this...

I just can't believe the amount of download & restarts we did taking such a bulky 49 Gigs off of my SSD drive!

WIFI issues was swiftly eliminated morning at sunrise but then alternating in between windows update & attempting to load any of the most recent Intel Driver Bundle worked quite well.

Now Windows update consistently shows that I am "Up to Date" however I still get two drivers from the Bundle with failed installation. (See Attached Screen Capture)

I am not too sure what I should do next to fix the troubles demonstrated below....

Also should I download all the recent drivers for my NUC from the Intel download page? even if I am apoparently done with all my Windows updates?

Do I need to Updates all my drivers through the "Device Manager" feature? then try again with the two failing Intel bundle drivers?

Slightly confused here again... 

First I created a folder in the Bundle where I could Isolate any failing installations folders called "Install Failed".

FailedInstall2.PNG

This is now composed of only two Failed Installation.

FailedInstall3.PNG

And these two drivers fail the way shown below...

FailedInstall4.PNG

FailedInstall5.PNG

• 7. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                      dougho

NFC driver should not be installed since you don't have the optional NFC "lid" which contains such hardware.  So it would be expected to fail (if you tried install).

• 8. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                        TrackedFred

Okay fair enough

And I also just noticed that I have no sound now... mini speakers are 3.5 jack connected and had sound before during install.

I can see in the sound card window that I do have a signal for example from a Youtube page as test.

That is weird I quite don't get it.

Also in addition to what I just did all day should I download all the recent drivers for my NUC from the Intel download page? even if I am apparently I am good with all my Windows updates...

Do I need to Updates all my drivers through the "Device Manager" feature? then try again with every single available Intel drivers updates?

And what about those Bios updates do I really need them?

Sorry so many questions.

• 9. Re: Just loaded windows 7 on a NUC5i5RYH & now completely stuck with internet connection...
                          dougho

For audio there are often two outputs/drivers - one is through the display cable such as HDMI and the other is through the 3.5 jack.  Sometimes there is automatic switch to the 3.5 jack when something is inserted, but in general you can right mouse click on the sound icon near lower right of screen (just left of time/date) and choose Playback devices, then see which one has the green check mark (called default device) - that is where the sound will go.  You can do various clicks to configure and test.  So in other words your sound may have switched to going to HDMI and you may not want that (many people like me do like it - less cables, and we have some HDMI monitor with speakers or with its own sound jack where we plug in speakers).

For downloading recent drivers, it is up to you.  Mostly once you have the network driver (wireless if that is what you use), Windows Update and everything work good enough (you should not need to use Device Manager to update - you only need concern yourself with any yellow exclamation marks there, for example you may want to uninstall that NFC).  BIOS updates can go either way - if you are not having a problem then some say do not risk trouble of an update - others like me update after waiting a week or so for any early reports of trouble after the latest update.