5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 9:06 AM by JPMontero_Intel

Partprobe hangs at boot for edison builds

andreig

Hello guys,

I'm facing a very strange bug on Edison board using the Intel Edison Breakout board: sometimes, partprobe hangs at boot.

In order to reproduce the behavior I compiled a new vanilla Intel build using source code and instructions from git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel-edison (0c8a23e linux: fix the do_kernel_checkout error in src building). After this I added a service as it follows to catch a hang:

$ cat /lib/systemd/system/test.service

[Unit]

Description=Test service

Requires=resin-init.service

After=resin-init.service

[Service]

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/partprobe ; /sbin/reboot

Type=oneshot

RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]

WantedBy=basic.target

When partprobe hangs, the service shows the hang:

root@edison:~# systemctl status test

��● test.service - Test service

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/test.service; enabled)

Active: activating (start) since Thu 2015-07-23 00:49:36 UTC; 19min ago

Main PID: 186 (partprobe)

CGroup: /system.slice/test.service

��└��─186 /usr/sbin/partprobe

As well, after a while on serial kernel dumps these messages:

[  240.632138] INFO: task mmcqd/0boot0:70 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

[  240.632233] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

[  240.632982] INFO: task partprobe:186 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Relevant or not, when the board doesn't hang, if I run partprobe manually it throws errors as it follows:

root@edison:~# partprobe

[ 1196.432197] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0rpmb, sector 0

[ 1196.496034] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0rpmb, sector 0

Warning: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: Input/output error

This is a blocking issue for us (at resin.io) because we suspect that the underlying cause of this issue is affecting us in another bug that is way harder to explain or to reproduce. Have you ever seen something like this? I would gladly help in any way possible for debugging and fixing this bug. Right now the only lead I had was to use a patch similar to:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/24260 . I booted a kernel with this patch and nothing changes regarding to this bug. As well I'd like to mention that these behaviors are reproducible on multiple boards - just to rule out the hardware issue possibility.

I reproduced the same behavior on official intel images: edison-image-ww25.5-15.zip.

Regards,

--

Andrei Gherzan