8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 2:55 PM by DiegoV_Intel

lcd interfacing

pranchand

hi ,i am trying to interface lcd to intel galileo gen2 ,after going through intel communities i have realised that we need to use INIT() FUNCTION ,but there is no such funtion in my arduino intel 1.5.3 library,can anyone help me please.

• 1. Re: lcd interfacing
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi pranchand,

I believe you are talking about the method lcd.init(). If so, this is a method of the LCD library so you should include this library prior to use the method, otherwise you will get an error. I recommend you to check the following example about using the LCD: Intel® Galileo Boards and Kits — HelloWorld Display Arduino Example.

Additionally, there is a newer version of the Arduino IDE. I recommend you to download it. You can find it here: Intel® Galileo Boards — Software Downloads, it is the 1.6.0 version.

Also, I found this other thread that might be interesting for you: Galileo LiquidCrystal Library Fixes. It explains some fixes made to work with LCD displays.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: lcd interfacing
            pranchand

Thanks for reply diego, i did refer to to that threadGalileo LiquidCrystal Library Fixes  ,it says use of lcd.init() should give LCD output,but the biggest problem is that my LCD library doesnt have INIT function,if you have got it working can u send me screenshot of your code please.

• 3. Re: lcd interfacing
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi pranchand,

There are two workarounds to make the LCD work on Galileo. Both of them are explained in the thread Galileo LiquidCrystal Library Fixes. The first workaround is simply adding the following line in your setup function:

lcd = LiquidCrystal(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

Using this way you will be doing a re-initialization of the LCD object. Make sure the pin order is the same for you. I took the line above based on the HelloWorld example found under File>Examples>LiquidCrystal>HelloWorld, but if your pin order is different you have to change the pin order in the line above.

The other workaround is using the fixed library provided in that thread. There, you will find the instructions to use this library instead of the one that comes with the Arduino IDE. Then, you will be able to use the examples with no problems.

I've tested both workarounds with the HelloWorld example. The first workaround works but the messages are printed slowly, so I recommend you to use the second one which gets better results.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: lcd interfacing
                pranchand

hi diego, can u just mention steps to place LCD folder into arduino library, i feel i am going wrong there, please help me.

• 5. Re: lcd interfacing
                  pranchand

hi diego, can u just mention steps to place LCD folder into arduino library, i feel i am going wrong there, please help me.

• 6. Re: lcd interfacing
                    DiegoV_Intel

Hi pranchand,

Which Arduino IDE version are you using? If you are using the 1.6.0 version please follow the steps below:

1. Download the zip file from here: https://github.com/mikalhart/galileo-LiquidCrystal/archive/v1.zip. This zip file contains the patched LCD library.

2. Unzip the file. You will get a folder named as galileo-LiquidCrystal-1.

3. Rename the folder to LiquidCrystal.

4. Go to C:\...\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\libraries. You will find the original LiquidCrystal folder there. I recommend you to copy it in another location, for example in your Desktop to keep a backup version, and then delete it from the libraries location.

5. Copy the new patched LiquidCrystal folder in C:\...\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\libraries. At this point you have replaced the original LiquidCrystal folder with the patched one.

6. Open the Arduino IDE 1.6.0. Open the HelloWorld example under File>Examples>LiquidCrystal>HelloWorld.

7. Upload the example in the board. You should see the message "hello, world!" in your LCD.

Let me know if you are able to replace the LCD folder successfully.

Regards,

Diego.

• 7. Re: lcd interfacing
                      pranchand

hi Diego , can u just share with me the Lcd  u all use ,which gives output. i am using lcd JHD162A, do you think its compatible,please reply.

• 8. Re: lcd interfacing
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hello pranchand,

The LCD I used is the 1602A-4. I took some pictures about the test. Check them below.

IMG_20150831_143602.jpgIMG_20150831_143522.jpgIMG_20150831_143533.jpg

Regards,

Diego.