4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 5:09 AM by ccordero

How do I upload a compiled sketch created with the Arduino IDE without using USB??

warmour

Hi All,

I want to compile a sketch using the Arduino IDE, but upload via scp and then execute - Is this possible?

Cheers!

• 1. Re: How do I upload a compiled sketch created with the Arduino IDE without using USB??
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello warmour,

I haven't tested it, but it might be possible. When you upload a sketch, it is stored in the /sketch directory as a file named "sketch.elf". You might want to try copying a new compiled sketch through SCP under the directory /sketch, delete the old sketch.elf file and rename the new one to "sketch.elf". Then you can try running this new sketch.

As I said, I haven't tested it but I encourage you to try it and post your results.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: How do I upload a compiled sketch created with the Arduino IDE without using USB??
            warmour

Hi,

Thanks for you response. I did try but it doesn't work, I get:

root@galileo:~# cp build6955031346436128377.tmp/adafruit_adc.cpp.elf /sketch/sketch.elf                                                                                    

root@galileo:~# cd /sketch/                                                                                                                                                

root@galileo:/sketch# chmod +x sketch.elf                                                                                                                                  

root@galileo:/sketch# ./sketch.elf                                                                                                                                         

/sketch/sketch.elf: cache '/etc/ld.so.cache' is corrupt                                                                                                                    

root@galileo:/sketch#                                                                                                                                                      

root@galileo:/sketch#

Cheers!   

• 3. Re: How do I upload a compiled sketch created with the Arduino IDE without using USB??
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi warmour,

I tested it and I was able to run the new sketch transfered through SCP. I copied the new sketch in the /sketch directory with the name "sketch.elf". Then I rebooted the board and the sketch started once the board booted.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: How do I upload a compiled sketch created with the Arduino IDE without using USB??
                ccordero

Warmour, download this excellent free ebook: Intel Galileo and Intel Galileo Gen 2 - API Features and Arduino Projects for Linux Programmers

In one of the chapters there is a step by step "how to hack arduino ide script" guide to upload sketches to galileo/edison with scp.

Regards,

Carlos