7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 1:18 AM by welcomesorrow

How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?

george.profenza

Hi,

I've just downloaded the latest image for my Edison and the MCU SDK (edison-mcusdk-macosx64-1.0.10) on OSX (10.10.1)

but I can't seem to be able to use it. I've unzipped it and launched it but here are the issues I'm facing:

1. The Update option lists Version: 1.0.10 (mcu_fw_sdk20150416) as an option. I press install and I can temporarily see an Installing progress bar, but then everything looks the same (so I have no idea if the download or install worked and Refresh doesn't seem to do anything)
      2. I can't create a project. When I try to do so via the MCU menu in the eclipse's top menu bar (either as Empty or Template Project) I get a NullPointerException:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.intel.mdt.ui.wizards.NewMcuProjectWizard.createProject(NewMcuProjectWizard.java:189)
        at com.intel.mdt.ui.wizards.NewMcuProjectWizard.access$000(NewMcuProjectWizard.java:52)
        at com.intel.mdt.ui.wizards.NewMcuProjectWizard$1.run(NewMcuProjectWizard.java:111)
        at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

How can I get started with the Edison MCU SDK on OSX ?

Thank you,

George

• 1. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
          PabloM_Intel

Hi george.profenza,

Did you already installed the Java installation package on your system? If not, you can download it from here https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US. Then you can continue with the steps for Running Eclipse found in here https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/545143#running_eclipse.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
            george.profenza

Hi PabloM_Intel,

Yes I did,but I forgot to mention that.

(eclipse shouldn't be able to run without a java runtime, right ?)

Currently I'm using JRE 1.8, here's the output from java -version:

java version "1.8.0_25"
            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b17)
            Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

I also have Java 1.6 and 1.7 on the system, but 1.8 is the default.

(Should I point eclipe's ini file to a different JVM ? Does it need a variable like JAVA_HOME or similar defined ? )

locate bin/java
            /Applications/Processing.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java
            /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Application Loader.app/Contents/MacOS/itms/java/bin/java
            /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
            /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javaws
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javac
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javadoc
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javafxpackager
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javah
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javap
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javapackager
            /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javac
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javadoc
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javah
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javap
            /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javaws
            /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/bin/javaws
            /usr/bin/java
            /usr/bin/javac
            /usr/bin/javadoc
            /usr/bin/javah
            /usr/bin/javap
            /usr/bin/javaws
            /usr/local/bin/java2py

Update:

After changing the -vm in eclipse to JRE 1.6 or JRE 1.7 already on my system, I get the exact same NullPointerException.

What should I check/try next ?

Thank you Pablo,

George

• 3. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
              gnadig

Hi,

Im facing similar problem with MCU SDK. I get  the following error when I try MCU-> Create New MCU Project. I tried un-installing all previous java versions and re-installing JRE 7u75.  Result is same. 

George,

Did you find any solution to issue you mentioned in the post.

Thanks and Regards,

Girish

MCU.jpg

• 4. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
                george.profenza

Hi @gnadig,

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution on OSX.

I did install the MCU SDK on Windows 8 and that seemed to work: I can create a new project.

I haven't uploaded it to the board yet to confirm if the rest of the (cygwin) shell scripts are working too (but I'm hoping they are).

Until Intel says otherwise, I will assume this release of the SDK is broken on OSX.

HTH,

George

• 5. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
                  PabloM_Intel

Hi george.profenza,

Did you connect your system and board to the same local network? Also, remember that for Linux and Mac OS X you must set the IP address of your system to 192.168.2.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 6. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
                    welcomesorrow

Hi PabloM_Intel,

I have exactly the same problem in creating New MCU Project on Mac. Currently my Edison and Mac are connected to the same 192.168.1.x network, and I would rather not change the settings of the router.

Manually setting the Edison wlan0 to 192.168.2.15 and Mac to 192.168.2.1 does not solve the problem, since they are no longer connected to the router which is in 192.168.1.x space.

Is not there a way to avoid setting the system to 192.168.2.1 for instance by changing environment parameters of Eclipse?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: How to use the Edison MCU SDK (eclipse) on OSX ?
                      welcomesorrow

I found that unzipping mcu_fw.zip in src folder somehow let me avoid the nullpointerexception error on MCU > New MCU Project.

The src/mcu_fw.zip file appears to be expanded upon creation of a new MCU project and included in each project folder as a base system.

In Windows version, there is a same mcu_fw.zip file in the same place and yet MCU > New MCU Project does not cause any error.

I am buffled.