4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 9:04 PM by paramountain

determine BIOS version from box label?

paramountain

Is there any way to derive the BIOS version from the white Intel label on the box, whether retail or bulk? I'm guessing the answer is no because I just looked at a retail box I have and the BIOS version, 28, is not found in any of the numbers. I'd like to ask sellers what the BIOS version is before buying.

• 1. Re: determine BIOS version from box label?
          mikec_intel

It is possible to determine the BIOS version of the motherboard, NUC or compute stick with the SA# or AA# from the white sticker.

1) Go to ARK | Your Source for Intel® Product Information search for the NUC model, click the latest PCN number on the PCN/MDDS Information table (right hand)

PCN means Product Change Notification, it tells us which BIOS version will come with the board revision.

Mike C,

• 2. Re: determine BIOS version from box label?
            paramountain

NUC? Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about LGA 1155 boards available from Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Ark does not appear to be reliable. For example, I have a DZ68BC board with a manufacturing date of May 2012. But when I looked at Ark, clicked on DZ68BC which brought me to QDMS Search PCN Database, and I searched on the MM # found on my board, I saw four PDF files, one of which stated that as of April, 2012, all boards will have their BIOS updated from 28 to 35. However, my board has 28, luckily.

• 3. Re: determine BIOS version from box label?
              mikec_intel

It is possible to get the information of Intel® motherboards using the AA# ( revision) as well of NUCs. Use the steps below.

1) Go to ARK | Your Source for Intel® Product Information search for the motherboard model, click the latest PCN number on the PCN/MDDS Information table (right hand)

PCN means Product Change Notification, it tells us which BIOS version will come with the new board revision.

It is necessary to open each PCN and review the PDF. It will contains the changes of the BIOS and which board revision will contain it.

• 4. Re: determine BIOS version from box label?
                paramountain

Okay, I finally understand, thanks. I did not go far enough to see the AA #s in the PDF. The Date Of Manufacture is only approximate, but the AA # is definitive.