2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 6:31 PM by Itstechpro

dfu-util in Flash Tool Lite on Windows 32  / xp

Itstechpro

I was getting rather frustrated attempting to flash my Edison / Arduino with the latest version.  Downloaded and installed PhoneFlashToolLite-5.2.4.0_win32 and followed all instructions for bringing it up.  Kept getting an error on starting the flash tool ... problem with the file dfu-util. 

07/09/15 11:41:00.515 WARNING: Process TIMEOUT wait for started to execute "C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" --version

Tried flashing and the flash always failed after starting the OS portion with the following error trace:

07/09/15 11:29:05.171 INFO : [Port 5/6] Running `Wait for device with status pos on port 5/6` command

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 INFO : [Port 5/6] Command `Wait for device with status pos on port 5/6` succeed

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 INFO : [Port 5/6] Running `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\edison\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` command

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 WARNING: [Port 5/6] Command `C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\edison\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` timed out (80 s)

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 INFO : [Port 5/6] Retrying `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\edison\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` command

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 ERROR : [Port 5/6] Command `C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\edison\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` timed out (80 s)

07/09/15 11:29:20.250 ERROR : [Port 5/6] Flash failed (Command type: DFU)

Downloaded the flash tool again and reinstalled a couple of times ... no change.  Finally, I searched for the current version of dfu-util and replaced the file in the flash tool folder with what appeared to be the newer version.  The original dfu-util  was 184KB long while the new version was 653KB long.    When I started the flash tool this time ... no error message and when I started the flash procedure, it went smoothly with no hitches.  Haven't tested all of the linux commands and functionality yet but everything seems good.  Ran a Python script which worked.

The only things I noticed that was different from the edison factory install was a  CAT   /etc/version just returned       weekly-159      without further version information.

JM

• 1. Re: dfu-util in Flash Tool Lite on Windows 32  / xp
          CMata_Intel

Hi Itstechpro,

We could try with the flashall script.

1) Download the latest image from Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone

1) Download this file-> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54378433/dfu-util/dfu-util.exe and put it inside the folder where you have the files for the image in your PC.

2) Use cmd.exe and go to the folder where you have the files and run the flashall.bat file.

C:\Users\Myself\Edison\edison-image-wwXX-XX>flashall.bat

3) You will be asked to "plug and reboot the board". In that moment you need to plug your board and wait for the process to be done.

Or we could try with the steps from this thread: Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash

1)download an unzip latest image

2) connect using a serial terminal (Putty in my case) and restart Edison

3) you should see the start of a boot sequence - if not then there is more wrong with the device that this will fix.

4) interrupt the boot by pressing Ctrl-C

5) enter the command run do_flash - this puts the Edison in flash mode ready to talk to flashall.

6) after edison has entered the flash mode run flashall on the host machine - change directory to the unzipped image folder and you will find flashall there.

7) wait - you can watch what is happening on the serial console.

8) when the reboot is complete - do a hard reboot (remove power) and it should all be working

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: dfu-util in Flash Tool Lite on Windows 32  / xp
            Itstechpro

Charlie,

Thanks.  I'll have to try the flashall.bat file next time.

My post was more informative  to the community than a question.

There is obviously something wrong with the dfu-util file in the FlashToolLite since when I replaced it with a download of what appears to be a more recent version, FlashToolLite worked perfectly ... no hitches.  Was just wondering if anyone else had tried the same thing and if not, it may be the simplest way to fix any problems with errors in FlashToolLite.

Jules