2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 2:31 PM by CMata_Intel

Error When Using Intel Galileo as an ISP

St0nedMegatr0n

Hello everyone. I must admit this is my first post and I hope that I am placing it in the correct forum. I'm not a complete noob when it comes to programming as I've done it for sometimes in C# and Python but I keep running into issues that I can't figure out.  So I am turning to the geniuses here as I have read the forms in the past and did not even need to ask a question because it had already been answered. 

I just recently started using the Arduino IDE (Ver 1.6.0) along with the Intel Galileo Gen1. The firmware is 1.0.4. I have been able to program the blink sketch to the board with and without the SD card running the linux image. I have purchased a ATmega328P-PU IC Chip w/ Arduino UNO BOOTLOADER (ebay) on a breadboard. I have not verified that it has a bootloader as I do not know how to but was just going to flash it with a new one anyways using the galileo.

I am receiving the following error when I compel the ArduinoISP from the examples list.

Arduino: 1.6.0 (Windows 8), Board: "Intel® Galileo"

In file included from ArduinoISP.ino:46:0:

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:39:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:40:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:41:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:42:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:44:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:45:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:46:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:48:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:49:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:50:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:51:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:52:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:53:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:54:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d/pins_arduino.h:55:14: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type

ArduinoISP.ino: In function 'void spi_init()':

ArduinoISP.ino:159:3: error: 'SPCR' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:160:7: error: 'SPSR' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:161:7: error: 'SPDR' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino: In function 'void spi_wait()':

ArduinoISP.ino:167:12: error: 'SPSR' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:167:25: error: 'SPIF' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino: In function 'uint8_t spi_send(uint8_t)':

ArduinoISP.ino:172:3: error: 'SPDR' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino: In function 'void start_pmode()':

ArduinoISP.ino:257:11: error: 'SS' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:259:11: error: 'SCK' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:264:11: error: 'MISO' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:265:11: error: 'MOSI' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino: In function 'void end_pmode()':

ArduinoISP.ino:271:11: error: 'MISO' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:272:11: error: 'MOSI' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:273:11: error: 'SCK' was not declared in this scope

ArduinoISP.ino:274:11: error: 'SS' was not declared in this scope

Error compiling.

I have loaded the blink sketch and verified that the on-board LED tied to pin 13 blinks, then compelled a empty sketch and verified that the LED stopped blinking. No errors are given when doing this...

I get the above error when checking the code and when it's uploaded. I thinking the issue is with the code as the board is not having issues taking other librarys.   I have moved to another computer with the same ver of the IDE and get the same error. so I used an older version 1.5.3 and no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate the help. I'm sure this can be done I'm just missing something.

• 1. Re: Error When Using Intel Galileo as an ISP
          St0nedMegatr0n

I have compel the ArduinoISP sketch without selecting the board in the tools menu. The code check has verified that there are no errors but after I select the board type  and recheck the code the stated error appear. Is the Galileo even able to be used as an ISP?   If so is there another way of doing it with other software. 

• 2. Re: Error When Using Intel Galileo as an ISP
            CMata_Intel

Hi St0nedMegatr0n ,

The ArduinoISP example is not compatible with the Galileo board. As you now the Arduino IDE works for the Galileo, Edison and all the boards from Arduino so there are features included in the IDE that may not work in all the boards. The reason of why you did not get errors after choosing another board is due to the library C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard\pins_arduino.h. that is used in the Arduino boards. For Galileo the sketch uses the library: C:\arduino-1.6.0+Intel\hardware\intel\i586-uclibc\variants\galileo_fab_d\pins_arduino.h that is specifically for the Galileo. If you check those files you will find some differences.

I have not seem this example in another board other than the Arduino Uno, so I can not say that the example works for all the Arduino boards. The example itself will not work for Galileo.

There is a maker that has been able to program a Galileo using another Galileo, I think you should take a look at this, it may give you an idea on how to start. xbolshe/galiprog · GitHub

Regards,

Charlie