After doing some reading on what might be the possible cause of your issue I found that several users who have had issues with the OTG pot is related to the ID of the grounding pin. There is a full discussion on this here Re: connecting directly to the OTG port . If this is not the solution then I’d suggest you to check the output of lsusb and dmesg to see if you get a clue on what might be going on.
Also, you can post your question in the emutex website EmutexLabs since they are the ones who support the ubilinux image and might provide a more accurate response.
OK so I managed to use minicom to eliminate the OS and drivers as being the issue.
It looks like one of the applications I am using to read the serial ports is doing something bad.
Great so I finally got the program working (Still some stuff to do to get it work automatically from cold boot )
The application was logging PV solar enegy generation and uploading it to pvoutput.org as well as energy consumption
The hardware is an Aurora PV inverter with RS485 to USB converter (FTDI) and Current Cost ENViR logger. (uses prolific)
The applications were Auroramon 1.07 and pvoutput intergration service
It looks like pvoutput has an auto detect feature that cycles through the serial ports and even when you manually specify the port it interferes with others
I solved the issue by creating another user and letting pvoutput work in that one where it didn't have permission to screw things up.
Anyhow most others doing this kind of thing are using Raspberry PI, so edison is now an alternative