10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 11:56 AM by LACInfosys

Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working

LACInfosys

Hi There,

I wipe out the pre installed windows 8.1 with Bing and installed windows 8.1 Pro so I can join it to our Domain. The problem is the Drivers for Video and Audio that are provided here is not working. I am getting an error I forgot to capture the exact phrase but something like: "This hardware does not have enough requirements to install the software" or something like that.

Windows 8.1 Pro installed properly but there are unknown devices under Device Manager. Is there any workaround?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
          LACInfosys

Hi Handsb_intel,

That is exactly what I downloaded, I've attached a screen capture of the error.

driver error.JPG

Any other idea or workaround?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
            fourDegrees

I have the same problem on my stick. Was fine out of the box, tried 8.1 pro found the graphics drivers don't work. So i tried windows 10 as the drivers say that is supported as well... NOPE. so went back to 8.1 with bing and tried the installer... no go.

Now i have been wasting lots of time on this for about the last week and have some info i hope to contribute:

1. I dont think the drivers are denying install due to OS versions. 8.1 with bing reinstall proves that.

2. The Installation_readme.txt in the graphics zip gives step by step how to install them manually. Here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows* Manual Installation Instructions

------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Click "Start", right-click "Computer", and click "Properties".

2.  Click "Device Manager" on the left.

3.  In the "User Account Control" window, click "Yes".

IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 5

4.  Double-click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" if present under

"Other Devices". (Go to step 6)

5.  Expand "Display adapters" and double-click the graphics controller.

Now i will stop there because this is where it breaks down. I am needing to install from new so one would believe that i perform step 4. Look under "Other Devices" for "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" and it (and "Display adapters" for step 5) is not there:

other.png

Yeah it totally might be one of the unknown devices... but forcing the driver onto them just fails and says "Windows was unable to install your unknown device"

So I tried the old work around to see what it is using screen resolution -> advanced settings:

advanced.png

driverProperties.png

Well its the Microsoft Basic Display Driver... Ok lets update that with the driver bundle: (Browse computer -> have disk -> selecting "igdlh.inf" as instructed)

error.png

3. The drivers in the bundle for wifi and bluetooth, install just fine. Graphics are the only package that is unsupported. (BT and WiFi are from different manufacture)

Thats all i have for now. When i can get back to this thing maybe i will finally figure out the key to this all. But im seriously leaning towards either the devices we have with this problem are just bad (unlikely since it worked out of the box) or intel isnt testing the drivers they are giving us... Hopefully we can make enough noise here so they might sit down and try them and see they dont work like they say. Really would love to use my compute stick...

• 4. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
              LACInfosys

Hi fourDegress,

I got the same errors like you do and also tried the steps you did without luck. I understand that this device is new but not from a huge company like Intel who would release a driver that does not work. The engineer in-charge on this maybe did not test the driver and assumed that it will work. If that's the case shame on Intel for acting like a mom & pop shop.

I'll share what I can find too, and hoping that Intel are even monitoring this forum. Look like they are not, another shame for this giant corporation.

Sorry for sounding so frustrated, well I am, from expecting too much from a company with so much resource but yet they are not using their resource to a better use.

Thanks,

Jackson

• 5. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                Zeke

Check out this thread for all the drivers: Complete driver list for Windows 8.1

I can say the recent builds of Windows 10 do not result in the "unknown devices" appearing in Device Manager. I loaded 10162 the other day and updated to 10166 without issue.

• 6. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                  BoonXeven

Zeke I'm glad to hear Windows 10 is working good on an Intel Compute Stick. I'm thinking of installing the preview. Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade?

• 7. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                    Zeke

BoonXeven, I did have some problems with space on the drive and had to perform a clean install of Windows 10 (didn't delete recovery partition). I didn't see this option at first and had to hit back when I was prompted to install a USB device with adequate storage.

I am uncertain of how this will affect my license once Windows 10 will be released though. I am prepared to perform a restore and upgrading then.

• 8. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                      bluesman_intel

I have the

Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC  with the failing apps version in Windows 8.1... batch CNGE54O203 and version#: H69761-102. I upgraded the bios before doing anything to

BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

This download record provides the .BIO file for updating or recovering the BIOS of the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC and STCK1A8LFC.

Before I go on, in the BIOS you can only choose between Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 with Bing, and there is seemlingle no Windows 10 Home 32-bit option (yet).

I am having the exact same problem.... tried installing by right clicking igdlh.inf and choosing install too, and also using the methods above, and getting the same message. This driver claims to support Windows 10 as seen below, but doesn't at all.

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics driver for Intel® Compute Stick

Installs the video graphics driver version 15.33.37.4242 for Intel® Compute Stick.

This driver does not install, it doesn't have instructions in the igdlh.inf file for installing on Windows 10 (although Windows 7 and 8 are covered). There are also 6 unknown devices on my Intel Compute stick now (I have no idea what they are) and the SD card doesn't work (probably because of these unknown devices) The Intel (R) Atom processor i2C-controller also has errors. There is no sound, as that comes with the graphics drivers. The new wireless and Bluetooth drivers work though, and install fine. Nice and stable.

I did a clean install, kept recovery partition on windows 8.1 just in case I need to roll back.

Upon upgrading from within the existing install, the upgrade failed at 58%. I tried 4 times with both Windows update version of upgrade to Windows 10, and USB flash drive upgrade and using the memory card as scratch disk for the installation. All installation attempts failed when installing devices and drivers...beats me. Since there is no memory card support yet, I am guessing the reason it failed was due to no working drivers for the SD card. So use the the USB pen option as your extra space for installation. Remove memory card possibly... I haven't tried this, but this could be the reason it was failing so many times. I did try and install without using the SD card at all as a disk, and I had 10GB free on C: (disk 0) and sufficient space according to the update app. Everything was A-OK according to the Upgrade app, even so the install failed. The SD card was in the slot though...I can't be bothered testing this, but apparently the Recovery option with F8 won't work with a card in the slot.

I got windows 10 working on a fresh install (not sure I can recover Win 8.1 now, at least the F8 recovery option is not working). Windows 10 seems to work better, slimmer and faster, and it feels OK and more enjoyable and less sluggish on the Intel Compute Stick. It is stil a little slow on the response, but much better overall. So get cracking on the drivers Intel.

On the other hand, my other computers did the upgrade from Windows update fine (although you have to uninstall the graphic drivers and install new ones, as the old ones really chug up your system. I also had problems with the old version of Norton Internet Security from 2014. I had to remove it with the removal tool and get the latest version).

In general, you will get a picture on the screen and things work, but my older computers with old graphic cards and old devices are not supported. This is not a surprise, as it has been the same way with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1.

• 9. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                        bluesman_intel

bluesman_intel wrote:

I have the

Intel-Compute-Stick-STCK1A32WFC  with the failing apps version in Windows 8.1... batch CNGE54O203 and version#: H69761-102. I upgraded the bios before doing anything to

BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

This download record provides the .BIO file for updating or recovering the BIOS of the Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC and STCK1A8LFC.

Before I go on, in the BIOS you can only choose between Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 with Bing, and there is seemlingle no Windows 10 Home 32-bit option (yet).

I am having the exact same problem.... tried installing by right clicking igdlh.inf and choosing install too, and also using the methods above, and getting the same message. This driver claims to support Windows 10 as seen below, but doesn't at all.

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics driver for Intel® Compute Stick

Installs the video graphics driver version 15.33.37.4242 for Intel® Compute Stick.

This driver does not install, it doesn't have instructions in the igdlh.inf file for installing on Windows 10 (although Windows 7 and 8 are covered). There are also 6 unknown devices on my Intel Compute stick now (I have no idea what they are) and the SD card doesn't work (probably because of these unknown devices) The Intel (R) Atom processor i2C-controller also has errors. There is no sound, as that comes with the graphics drivers. The new wireless and Bluetooth drivers work though, and install fine. Nice and stable.

I did a clean install, kept recovery partition on windows 8.1 just in case I need to roll back.

Upon upgrading from within the existing install, the upgrade failed at 58%. I tried 4 times with both Windows update version of upgrade to Windows 10, and USB flash drive upgrade and using the memory card as scratch disk for the installation. All installation attempts failed when installing devices and drivers...beats me. Since there is no memory card support yet, I am guessing the reason it failed was due to no working drivers for the SD card. So use the the USB pen option as your extra space for installation. Remove memory card possibly... I haven't tried this, but this could be the reason it was failing so many times. I did try and install without using the SD card at all as a disk, and I had 10GB free on C: (disk 0) and sufficient space according to the update app. Everything was A-OK according to the Upgrade app, even so the install failed. The SD card was in the slot though...I can't be bothered testing this, but apparently the Recovery option with F8 won't work with a card in the slot.

I got windows 10 working on a fresh install (not sure I can recover Win 8.1 now, at least the F8 recovery option is not working). Windows 10 seems to work better, slimmer and faster, and it feels OK and more enjoyable and less sluggish on the Intel Compute Stick. It is stil a little slow on the response, but much better overall. So get cracking on the drivers Intel.

On the other hand, my other computers did the upgrade from Windows update fine (although you have to uninstall the graphic drivers and install new ones, as the old ones really chug up your system. I also had problems with the old version of Norton Internet Security from 2014. I had to remove it with the removal tool and get the latest version).

In general, you will get a picture on the screen and things work, but my older computers with old graphic cards and old devices are not supported. This is not a surprise, as it has been the same way with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1.

Update. The devices above that where missing installed in the procedure described here by Zeke worked just fine - alle devices installed, but you need to do it in that order:

Zeke has pointed me to the right post. This post describe the correct procedure for installing the unknown devices and I can confirm too, that it works on Windows 10 clean install.

Check out this thread for all the drivers: Complete driver list for Windows 8.1

I confirm: "I can say the recent builds of Windows 10 do not result in the "unknown devices" appearing in Device Manager. "

So, it is not exacly intuitive, but the device and all features and SD-card now work.

• 10. Re: Drivers provided for Compute Stick video/audio is not working
                          LACInfosys

Finally!

Thank you so much

The missing driver is the Intel Embedded Drivers which were not provided in Compute Stick list of drivers. Plus of course the other missing drivers that were compiled by .

I can confirm that the drivers from compute stick driver page will work if the Intel Embedded Driver is installed first regardless of a clean install or upgraded. We have 3 units of Compute Stick and I have played with each type of install and I should say though disappointed with Intel Support I do personally like this product . Cheap, small, and pretty powerful.

Install types are:

• upgrade from Windows 8.1 with Bing to Windows 8.1 Pro
                          • upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro
                          • clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro
                          • clean install of Windows 10 Pro

Note: There are two versions of Video Adapter drivers in the download center, take note of the description, there's one for Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Thanks,

Jackson