5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 2:41 PM by DiegoV_Intel

Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE

pekbo

I've been trying to find a known working example of the Intel Edison using Arduino 1.6.4 IDE and the RF24 libraries.

Does anyone have one?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi RICHARD PEKKALA,

I recommend you to check the following thread: Issue compiling with nRF24  Lib. The code posted at the end (and the rest of the discussion) might be helpful for you.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE
            pekbo

Hi Diego - I studied the thread before posting and it seemed helpful but didn't pan out.  Let me give a simple example.  Using Arduino IDE 1.6.4, please try and compile-only this sketch for Edison on a Windows7 machine.  Use the RF24 libs as pointed out in the thread you mentioned: maniacbug/RF24 · GitHub

#include <SPI.h>

#include <nRF24L01.h>

void setup() {

// put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {

// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

What should happen is that the compile will hang.  No errors, just hang.  As in never terminate.

Please let me know if you get the same response.

Thanks,

Pekbo

• 3. Re: Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi RICHARD PEKKALA,

I've tested the simple example you posted. I got the same result as you, the process hangs in the "Compiling sketch…" stage and it never finishes. An interesting fact is that I tested it again but selecting the Arduino UNO board and it compiled successfully.

Then I tried to compile the same example using the Arduino IDE 1.6.0 in order to know if I would get different results. This time the compilation process didn’t hang, but threw an error message related with the nRF24L01.h library. The error is because the library is not Edison compatible due to architectures differences between both boards: Edison and Arduino boards.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE
                pekbo

Thank you Diego for trying.  I'm glad it's not just me.

So the original question remains, is there a working example under Arduino 1.6.4 using any variant of RF24 and Edison?

If you're in the mood, and want to try another wierd case, cancel out of all your 1.6.4 windows.  Now plug and Edison into your USB and make sure the drivers load correctly (you'll see the VirtualCom port in Device Manager).

Once that's done, launch Arduino 1.6.4.  It should hang for a VERY LONG time.  On the order of 5 minutes, before launching the new sketch window.

You'll note that 1.6.4 actually hung because Edison was plugged in.  It will default to an Arduino Yun I believe and grey out the port.

Now for grins, unplug the Edison, and replug it.  Launch another New Sketch window and WHAMMO!  The Edison will now appear just fine.  Download Blink and it will work just fine.

Thanks,
                Rick

• 5. Re: Intel Edison RF24 libs under Arduino 1.6.4 IDE
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi RICHARD PEKKALA,

I tested what you explained and I got the same result: the selected board was Arduino YUN, the port option became grey out, and the IDE took a long time to get open. As before, I did the same test in the Arduino IDE 1.6.0 and it doesn’t happen, the IDE opens fine and the port option is enabled. Personally I prefer using the Arduino IDE 1.6.0 instead of the newer versions. These kind of issues don't happen with it and the Edison and Galileo boards are already supported without downloading additional packages.

Back to the main topic, I found this page where there is a library for RF24. I haven't tested it, but it states that Galileo and Edison are included in the supported boards. Take a look at it, you might find it useful: Optimized High Speed NRF24L01+ Driver Class Documenation: Optimized High Speed Driver for nRF24L01(+) 2.4GHz Wireless Tr…

Regards,

Diego.