4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 7:08 PM by Curious592

Installed more RAM, can't boot.

tsexton

I installed two Corsair 1G sticks in my DG965WH board replacing two 512K sticks.  The system won't boot.  The new sticks were DDR2, 800mh same as the old ones.  Installed in the same slots (DIMM 0, A and B).  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Installed more RAM, can't boot.
          Span1shUk

Hi Tsecton

Could you please provide the exact model number of the memory?

What happen if you put back the old modules? Does it work?

What power supply do you have? Exact model number?

What happen if you put only one of the new memory module?

And if you turn the system ON with out memory... how many beeps do you get?

Regards

Span1shUk    

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Installed more RAM, can't boot.
            tsexton

The new Memory is Patriot model number PSD21G8002, 1GB PC2-6400 800M Hz CL5.

Installing the old memory gets me back up.

Don't know about the power supply.

I haven't tried to install only one of the 1G sticks.

I haven't tried to turn the system on with none of the sticks in slots.

I decided to upgrade RAM because I bought the Windows 7 upgrade.  Have all updates installed. Installed Win7, comes up with the 512K sticks installed.

I'll try the things you mentioned and get back to you.  Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Installed more RAM, can't boot.
              tsexton

Problem Solved !!   I contacted Frys where I purchased the new RAM about the problem.  They suggested I buy the same brand as the 512 sticks that I took out of the desktop.  I took the RAM back and exchanged it for two sticks of Corsaire memory.  Lo and Behold, after installing the memory the system booted right up.  The new memory was the problem.  Frys didn't know why and only said, "Not all memory works on all boards".

Thanks for helping

Tim Sexton

• 4. Re: Installed more RAM, can't boot.
                Curious592

One thing to watch for with memory is automated timing (or whatever it's called).  I believe all Crucial memory has it so that's what I use.  They aren't the first out with new memory but it seems to work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful